PNW wheeling - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mud
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 63730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proeliator View Post
Epic fail on my part. Totally wasted the best clutch you can stuff in there without spending $ on a double clutch pulling truck setup, steering blown, and spit the front drive shaft. With the ps issues, I couldn't smell the clutch because all I could smell was burnt ps fluid burning off the headers...until the damn clutch was full on up in smoke.

So, I throw in the towel. Clearly, my new motor and ag tires are just too much for my current drive train. I'm breaking every time I go out. In any case, its time to step my game up. You've got to pay to play, some of us just end up paying more than others
So.....this day will go down in history; "The BOG that ate Pro's truck"
Either way it was an AWESOME day in the mud brother! Did ya' see Jim's EPIC pass that I posted above?
We think that on your first pass, you created new ruts, outside the old track. When Jim hit new ruts he got airborne & just about CRUSHED Georges Yota'!, who was parked too close to bog.
It was EXTREMELY gnarly.
Big79'Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Send a message via Yahoo to Proeliator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big79'Terry View Post
We think that on your first pass, you created new ruts, outside the old track. When Jim hit new ruts he got airborne & just about CRUSHED Georges Yota'!, who was parked too close to bog.
It was EXTREMELY gnarly.
Yea, I couldn't steer for shit, but I guess if the end result is new ruts to give Jim a surprise launch it was worth it. Your comment at the end had me
'73 F250, 533 on N2o, 35spln chromo Superior/CTM D60/D70, twinsticked 205, hydro-assist, f&r lockers, 46" Titan R1s.
Proeliator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 63730
Some pics. At the end of the day the mud had been whipped into 4 ft. deep peanut butter.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 43190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proeliator View Post
Epic fail on my part. Totally wasted the best clutch you can stuff in there without spending $ on a double clutch pulling truck setup, steering blown, and spit the front drive shaft. With the ps issues, I couldn't smell the clutch because all I could smell was burnt ps fluid burning off the headers...until the damn clutch was full on up in smoke.

So, I throw in the towel. Clearly, my new motor and ag tires are just too much for my current drive train. I'm breaking every time I go out. I'd prefer to sell it as a rolling chassis, but my best bet will probably be to part the drive train out. Especially before I nuke my $ chromoly Superior/CTM one ton axles.

Will replace with 2.5/5 ton hybrid rockwells, and am thinking about switching to a powerglide tranny. Not ruling a built C6 out but I know more guys with the really high hp trucks running 'glides...either way I've got some research to do. I'd love a Lenco but don't want to spend that much coin on the tranny. Rear steer, and fully hydro steering front and rear. In any case, its time to step my game up. You've got to pay to play, some of us just end up paying more than others
Damn I was thinking about going to a np435, not to sure now. How long have you been running that clutch? I thought you had a number of years on it.

In any case I didn't think the tons were gonna make it. Also you gonna four link and coilover?

I just got a smoking deal on 54" boggers and gonna link, coilover, 4 wheels steer, disk brake my rocks.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown4x4 View Post
Damn I was thinking about going to a np435, not to sure now. How long have you been running that clutch? I thought you had a number of years on it.

In any case I didn't think the tons were gonna make it. Also you gonna four link and coilover?

I just got a smoking deal on 54" boggers and gonna link, coilover, 4 wheels steer, disk brake my rocks.
Considering that I twisted the back half of my original np435 off with the new motor/tire combo; yea, food for thought. I had the flywheel drilled out for the biggest, most aggressive Mcleoud I could put in barring a double clutch setup. As of the tranny upgrade last year after the last breakage it was in new condition. Ultimately, the hp of the current motor and premium traction offered by the ags was just too much for it.

I've got alot of money in my tons, so I'd rather sell them while they are in top condition because its really just a matter of time. I'm going to four link and coilover the rear at the very minimum. Frankly, I'd rather just sell the whole truck and start over fresh building a new full size from the tube frame up. But in todays economy I find it unlikely anybody would want to drop that amount of coin on a toy and I'll probably be better off parting out the drivertrain.
'73 F250, 533 on N2o, 35spln chromo Superior/CTM D60/D70, twinsticked 205, hydro-assist, f&r lockers, 46" Titan R1s.

Last edited by Proeliator; 04-15-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #56 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 158768
cheeto says he'll give you treefiddy and some leftover crew parts in trade

it sucks, but it is what it is. you knew you'd be ditching the tons at some point, just probably hoped it wouldn't be so soon.
fatdan460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdan460 View Post
it sucks, but it is what it is. you knew you'd be ditching the tons at some point, just probably hoped it wouldn't be so soon.
That about sums it up. My favorite vid is my drivetrains final "fawk you!" as its spits the driveshaft as I'm headed back to the staging area. That, and Paul and Mike remembering I can't really steer and not knowing where to run

Super Beast looses front driveline - YouTube

It takes good eyes to see it, but you can see the front driveshaft spit out the back a little before my "break" lights come on.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown4x4 View Post
Damn I was thinking about going to a np435, not to sure now.
Almost forgot, if you do go to a Np435 I know somebody with one of the rare one ton divorced units with a forged 1410 yoke for sale

Last edited by Proeliator; 04-16-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 63730
Oh I don't know I kinda' dig this one;

Yankton Yahoo's Mudding - YouTube

Last edited by Big79'Terry; 04-16-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big79'Terry View Post
Oh I don't know I kinda' dig this one
Haha, I bet!

Friggin ags digging to china. I like that vid because before you get the strap tight I'm spinning the tires but the only movement you can see is straight down. There's got to be a bottom, right?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 54841
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Your face looks like you are taking a shit on the seat.
LMAO...
Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 139700
I don't think you want to go to a glide. I would go c6. If ya need any help with a trans I have a bit of c6 knowledge. lol
Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsoffroad View Post
I don't think you want to go to a glide. I would go c6. If ya need any help with a trans I have a bit of c6 knowledge. lol
I'll make sure to pick your brain when I get to that point, thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #63 (permalink)
HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL

Member # 66936
Send a message via AIM to MUD SLUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsoffroad View Post
x2 Not exactly the best choice for a mud truck...well, unless you have assloads of gearing already

On a more serious note, it really isn't a better choice even though I personally run one...it's ALL that will fit in my rig, other than a $$$$$$ lenco...and I'd gain no extra gears...

Sure the glide will you get you down a track fast, but that ain't what most mud trucks need...if I could cram a mini 10 speed in my truck, I'd have that. I like choices

EDIT---My thinking...keep your truck, motor, and tires...

the trans is debatable with me... I like standards, but not for mud. Could it work with beefed up axles and d-shafts? Sure, plenty of them out there, but I'd go auto.

Then, all you need is 2.5's and you done on the fairly cheap.

If you want the 2.5ton/5tons hybrids you can go that route, but it's overkill for the 47's...

...unless, of course, you want to sell the tires and go even bigger
BIG Inch BBC
PG
2-SCS's
4-Wheel Steering
14,000lbs

2008 GMC 3500HD CCLB SRW
6.6 LMM DURAMAX ALLISON
EFI LIVE
Pro Rock D60

Last edited by MUD SLUT; 04-17-2012 at 05:21 PM.
MUD SLUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD SLUT View Post
...unless, of course, you want to sell the tires and go even bigger
Uh, like you even need to ask That is absolutely the plan.

edit: Appreciate you guys' input on the auto. I may be a staunch manual gearbox fan but with the direction I'm going a slushbox clearly makes the most sense. Besides which, the Np435 makes me want to kick a kitten at the mud drags. I've done your regular rebuilds and moderate upgrades on C6s, but that's about my limit of experience with them. I know far more guys with the really big/hp trucks running 'glides which is why I was considering them. But, its all up in the air now so all input/advice is welcome as I start planning V.3. of the truck.

Last edited by Proeliator; 04-17-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #65 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15263
Send a message via ICQ to 82F100SWB Send a message via AIM to 82F100SWB Send a message via MSN to 82F100SWB Send a message via Yahoo to 82F100SWB
Seth, wander over to 460ford or 429-460 and get ahold of Frank Merkl, he may be a fellow Canuckistanian Farmer, but, he is THE MAN when it comes to C6's.
86 F250... 460/T19/1345/D60/welded 10.25, 44 Boggers, reg cab, some junk... Build
82F100SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 139700
I've done many of c6's with moderate upgrades but just recently got the C6 101 from Mike Vaters with the Black Stallion monstertruck. He's puting 1800 blown hp through his c6's with no problems so I think I may have learned a thing or 2. lol
Old 04-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Appreciate it

I know a couple guys putting @2000hp through them so I know they can be made to handle it, I just haven't done it myself.

As much fun as a lenco would be, a slushbox just makes more sense for a mudtruck, imo. On the plus side, I won't have such a pucker factor when I'm loading it on the trailer with the manual & hair trigger race clutch and everything is slippery already. Or maybe that's a negative, it certainly won't get the blood pumping the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82F100SWB View Post
Seth, wander over to 460ford or 429-460 and get ahold of Frank Merkl, he may be a fellow Canuckistanian Farmer, but, he is THE MAN when it comes to C6's.
Good to know. I've got mad respect for David Kee's when it comes to top loaders, but don't know any single one guy that is THE MAN for C6s, the more brains I can pick the better. I've lost mine somewhere so the more the better Kinda like the Evans brothers are to 460s. I'd love to take those guys out for some beers and talk shop.

Last edited by Proeliator; 04-23-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 43190
[QUOTE=Proeliator

Good to know. I've got mad respect for David Kee's when it comes to top loaders, but don't know any single one guy that is THE MAN for C6s, the more brains I can pick the better. I've lost mine somewhere so the more the better Kinda like the Evans brothers are to 460s. I'd love to take those guys out for some beers and talk shop.[/QUOTE]

X2 on the Evans bros. They have forgot more then I will probably ever know.