Powder coating - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 196829
Powder coating

Hello people,

I have researched this enough to know the basics. Seems the basic tools and powder for this is pretty cheap. What isn't cheap is having someone else do it. I can't find a place where I am at that will do it cheaper than $450 and that is with a discount.

What I don't understand is why you see so many powder coating companies selling so much equipment but the general public.

Am I missing something here? How are people going about heating their powder coated what have you after coating?

Is there a way to do this without the use of an oven?

Is there a coating available that doesn't require a heat source I can look into.

Thanks a million,
-Dave
Ironcross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hardcore Web Wheeler

Member # 102426
IR lamps work too.
Whitetrash303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2011, 02:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20099
99.99% easier to have it done unless you are looking to go big scale with it or do tons of small shit that will fit in an old kitchen oven.

Between blasting the parts, needing a large oven, powder coat equipment, etc... it's a check I'll write. I had a friend a while back try the DIY stuff and it lasted worse than cheap rattle can.

Just had 4 wheels done this week by the pros. Cost $50 per wheel to blast for me to weld the beadlocks, then blast it again and then powercoat wheels one color and the outer rings another color.

Last edited by nate379; 08-31-2011 at 02:13 AM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 196829
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
99.99% easier to have it done unless you are looking to go big scale with it or do tons of small shit that will fit in an old kitchen oven.

Between blasting the parts, needing a large oven, powder coat equipment, etc... it's a check I'll write. I had a friend a while back try the DIY stuff and it lasted worse than cheap rattle can.

Just had 4 wheels done this week by the pros. Cost $50 per wheel to blast for me to weld the beadlocks, then blast it again and then powercoat wheels one color and the outer rings another color.
So you paid $200 for 4 wheels? The equipment and powder is pretty cheap. Having someone do this for you is expensive as you noticed lol. A frame by itself can cost $700 or more. If you want a decent amount of things powder coated on your vehicle as I do it's going to add up real fast.

It's going to be a lot cheaper to do it on your own as long as you can find a way to heat the powder. I will find a way one way or another.

I am going to brainstorm a bit and figure this out.

As far as the infared I have seen some very expensive ones.

I will keep researching.
Thanks,
David
Old 08-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 119455
I think with time you will find that there is a reason only some people powder coat. Sure the paint and gun is cheap but finding a oven big enough to fit anything in to is not. Let alone the blasting side of it. I've got a guy lives 130 miles away. Does a awesome job. Don't have a problem driving over there or paying to have it done right.

We don't call them professionals for nothing.

Team Beat Racing Member.......... RIP Bubby, sure going to miss him.
Member Name:.............Mr. Beat!

"Your doing the *&%$ dance" Bobson.

http://www.holycrosspowderhounds.com/
offroadmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 20099
No, not expensive, which was the point I was making. Like I said, if you have alot to do, or maybe want to open a shop then it's worth it, otherwise it's not. $200 and the wheels come back nice and purty. No work on my part, no $$ spend on equipment to coat, nothing. Drop off and a few days later pick up.

The powdercoating part is cheap, it's the blasting that costs. It was 2 hours of labor charged at $70/hr. The powdercoating was only ~$15/wheel.

I've never priced it out, but it would be easy to have 10-15k into a SMALL powdercoating setup. The guys I use, their powder booth and oven can fit a medium duty truck without trouble, and I'm sure are not cheap to buy or run. They have it going damn near non stop and it needs to do make money.

Figure you will need a big compressor, not that little 60-80gal 10-15cfm $500 unit everyone has.... would take all day to do a wheel waiting on it to pump up! We are talking something that can do 50-100 cfm to run a decent sized blaster.

Then the actual coating gun, colors, place to store all that... and an oven decent sized... oh plus the electric to run that thing.

Like I said, you can get the little DIY kits for a few $$s, which would work on gun parts or other small stuff that can fit in a kitchen oven, but otherwise it's $$.... and my past experience has found that the little DIY kits don't do a good job.

I don't know what your $450 price is for, but if that is a truck frame, that's not a bad price. Sounds like you are trying to spend a dollar to save a dime. Somethings just make sense to pay for instead of trying to DIY.

Last edited by nate379; 08-31-2011 at 02:01 PM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Owner TWF

Member # 89489
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
it's the blasting that costs. .
Bingo. Also, good powder is not cheap. Your powder is only as good as your prep work. If you over bake it, it flakes off. If you put it on too thick it will bubble. Just because harbor freight sells a gun to put it on doesn't make it cheap. There is a lot more time than people think. Example: Someone buys one of our wheels. they want the outer one color and the back half another. You have to clean out the gun and all the lines, have both colors in stock. You can't buy the exact amount you want and if you buy small amounts it adds up so you buy 5# min at a time and then all of your profit sits on a shelf waiting on the next order. There is a reason powder coat businesses fold up right and left. It takes a lot of time to prep a product for powder, lay the powder, bake it ect. There isn't money in powder unless you can set up and do the same color on a lot of parts.

TWF Double Beadlock Wheels, TWF Transfer cases!!, Cheap 37" Tires, PitBull Tire dealer, RaceLine Wheel dealer, Rock rings, Wheel centers, Custom Splice winch rope, PVC inserts, O rings, Hummer wheels, NIB Rubber Runflats, Rockwell Axles, Marsh Racing dealer, 37" Guard Dogs, Cheap LED Light bars, Loud Horns
406 YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 196829
To much knowledge to argue against in here other than I might argue that you can't add to much powder. Atleast that's what a professional said.

Would be a hell of a gig if you didn't have to have them prepare and do it all.

Anyone ever heard of acid etching primer? Someone told me this is cheaper and better than powder coating.

Thanks for all the advice,
-Dave

Last edited by Ironcross; 08-31-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 196679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcross View Post
To much knowledge to argue against in here other than I might argue that you can't add to much powder. Atleast that's what a professional said.

Would be a hell of a gig if you didn't have to have them prepare and do it all.

Anyone ever heard of acid etching primer? Someone told me this is cheaper and better than powder coating.

Thanks for all the advice,
-Dave

Too much powder is as bad as too little because it will bubble and look terrible. The only fix after this happens is to resandblast and start over

We have an in house powdercoating setup for our parts and are currently weighing the pros and cons of just having it outsourced. The simply truth is by the time you find someone that actually "knows" how to do powder, pay thier salary, calculate all the wasted powder (that doesn't atomize and ends up on the floor), and the cost to run the ovens it's dangerously close to just having it all outsourced.

All that being said, $50.00 a wheel isn't terrible if you have 2 different colors. I wouldn't have taken on that job for less.

Derek

http://www.facebook.com/Proformfabrication/

Specializing in Drop Hitches, Custom Shackles, and leveling kits for many makes and models of trucks and SUV's

15% Off For Pirate Members, PM for discount code
Pro Form Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
HARDliner

Member # 120751
I have had a lot of stuff powdercoated from a full tube chassis to an entire Landcruiser body...and a lot of little stuff in between. I did two little tow hooks myself with a cheap gun and an oven, and the difference is amazing. The pros are well worth their price. There is a lot that goes into doing it right. Just because you can buy a scalpel doesn't mean you shold be taking your own appendix out (video that if you try). All "pro" powdercoaters are not created equal either. I have paid for crappy pwdercoating as well as amazing powdercoat. Check out your local place and see some of their work...then pay a good one to get it done.

Last edited by 73FJBUGGY; 09-01-2011 at 12:32 PM.
73FJBUGGY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.