Pirate 4x4 banner

M1008 VS '90's F350

7K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Jrod-13 
#1 ·
Just like the title says....... I have the chance to buy either a M1008 CUCV or a '93-'94 F350. Both are regular cab, long bed. The Ford is gas powered and the CUCV still has the 6.2 Diesel. Both need paint, but are complete trucks. They are both completely stock and ex-government trucks (F350 was a brush rig for a fire dept.) I think the Ford is 351/ E4OD powered (I had a friend stop and look at it because when I have not had time to stop for myself).

The CUCV is $1800 and the F350 is $1500. I'm not looking to build a hardcore wheeler, just a play toy. I can't make up my mind, I really like them both, but I can't get both. Is there anything I should look for (on either truck) that could help sway my decision? I've wanted a CUCV for a long time, but the Ford is my favorite body style truck, plus I know the Ford EFI system pretty well.

I guess what I am asking is, which truck is a better platform to start with? I'm not really intetrested in hearing that Ford sucks, or Chevy sucks kind of crap. I want to know which one is better from a wheeling point of view. How do the frames compare and axles, etc... (I am pretty sure the F350 has a Dana 60 front axle just like the CUCV, my friend was not 100% sure what to look for, and again I have not looked at it up close.)

Thanks in advance for the input.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I drive a Ford, and that's where my vote will go. I like the high pinion 60 better, even if it is ball joint (I run one) and you can easily fit large tires with very little lift and/or minor fender hacking. The sterling in the rear has more ground clearance than the Chevy axle, and you already like the body style and know the EFI. I like gas motors for wheeling myself, but you may prefer the diesel more. As bad as a rap as some give it, the 6.2 isn't complete garbage.

The Chevy is a good base to start with as well, but, the Ford has just as many good points and is a bit cheaper. You didn't mention anything about body condition or mileage, so I can't comment based on those.

#3 ·
I'm a Chevy guy. But if your more familiar with the efi ford motor, are comfortable with it and arent planning on changing it. Then by all means why would you conceder the chevy. The front shackle sucks on the ford as does the 36" spring mount. The rear may have more ground clearance but nothing will ever come close to the strength of the 14bolt. There is a shit ton of info on the ford forum that can point in the right direction. Btw other than the bumpers, the 14bolt and the TH400 in the chevy, I can't really think of what's better about the K30 over a f350.

#7 ·
Plus the 4.56s front and rear with a detroit in the back, lock right in the front and th400. That 4EOD is a pile of trash. If you really hate the 6.2 swap a small block or big block in and have fun. Already has hydroboost... You get a kingpin 60 with the chevy, and parts are definitely cheaper for that truck than they are the ford.

#11 ·
While I'm generally a Ford guy (I own 4 Fords-no Chevies) I would have to give the nod to the Chevy on this one. I once owned an '85 Jimmy with the 6.2 diesel and while it was pretty much gutless by today's diesel standards, it was a solid and reliable engine and I never had any problems out of it. Add the 4.56 gears & Detroit mentioned above and I'd think you'll be ahead of the game with it. Besides, if you ever wanted to regear or put a locker in the Ford you'll be kicking yourself and thinking "If I'd have only spent $300 more I'd already have this crap done!"

#12 ·
I was actually leaning towards 5.38's so a gear swap would be in order anyway. I want to run 40 or 44 inch tires. How big is the reliability difference between and king pin 60 and a ball joint one? Adding recovery points would not bother me, neither would cutting the fenders. I am going to talk to the guy with the F350 today. I like both trucks, and I know that the 6.2 is a good engine even though it is not the most powerful. Thanks for the input guys.

#14 ·
something else stupid and simple to take in consideration is the rust factor. usually all those military chevys ive seen are in great shape, rust wise anyways. when i bought my 86 even the factory exhaust brackets unbolted

#15 ·
CUCV's are nifty truck and all... but what are your plans with it?

The fuelie 351 in the ford has about 100hp and 100ftlbs on the 6.2.. which is a bit o a difference..
Gearing.. with 5.38's in both trucks, the E4OD/1356 combo is going to be quite a bit deeper than a th400/208, Not to mention 208's are a pretty wimpy T-case.
If your going to crawl it, the F-350 has longer springs in it.
If your doing anything other than a pavement pounder, the push pull steering on the chevy has to go.. so plan on redoing all of that.
Axle strength is the same in both, put in 35 spline stubs and call it done.

#16 ·
40+ inch tires, 5.38's, mild lift, cut fenders, bobbed bed, cage, sliders, locker in front and a locker or spooled rear. Mild street use, but mainly a mild trail basher/ crawler with a little mud. Really looking forward to hitting Gulches here in SC. That is pretty much it. Just a good all around wheeler.

I still have not been able to look at it up close, but I was told it has a 460 in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.