Pirate 4x4 banner

Build worksheet

847 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  cyrusd 
#1 ·
Heya,

Working on a parts list / build worksheet for a crawler I'd like to build in about a year. I figure that's how long it will take me to plan and get the $$ together.

I was hoping some of you more knowledgeable than myself might take a look and tell me:

A. what I'm getting that is over/under kill,
B. what I'm missing (I know some stuff - but if it's not on the list assume I've never heard of it)
C. general impressions of the parts / ideas

The idea is this: a solid weekend non-competition tube chassis buggy built with as many Toyota or Toyota-compatible drivetrain parts as is reasonable. I may want to do some newb competitions at some point, but no plans for that at the moment.

I like to build stuff, but I am NOT a fabricator. I can do really ugly welds and I have some grinders and whatnot. That's about it. I am however a pretty decent home mechanic, and enjoy assembling things. That said I will be relying heavily on the expertise of others to guide me along the way, and hopefully will be able to avoid any serious or expensive screw-ups that way. My plan is to lean on the in-house expertise of Those Guys to help get the chassis as close to "bolt up" as possible considering the other parts I'm using.

All that said - I like to drive stuff way more than I like to build / fix it. I realize that I can save a ton of money by using less expensive / strong parts, or buying used instead of new in the first place. My experiences with other automotive hobbies have lead me to the conclusion that in general (note disclaimer!) I am happier working with new parts than trying to understand the vagaries of what a previous owner might have done with parts before I got them. So that's the basic justification for the new, and occasionally expensive, gear.

I'm sure there are a million other details that would be helpful to know, so don't be shy, I'm here to learn and get schooled.

The parts / build sheet is here, if you're still reading and interested in telling me what I'm doing wrong (especially interested in knowing what I'm forgetting about):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...HB5LWZ5SlM2dXA2SkhtUXFFbVpSY1E&hl=en_US#gid=0

See less See more
#6 ·
Yeah, just started looking at their 3rd member stuff (hadn't even looked before). Definitely a good choice, it looks like. Single vendor parts for that kind of stuff makes me happier too, since they generally (ha) tend to play nicer together especially when assembling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.