Pirate 4x4 banner

Tractor & Implement paint and primer, how do I spray it? spray gun questions...

28K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  89eoyo 
#1 ·
I'm looking to do the tractor and implement paint job, because I don't give that much of a shit about the truck and I don't want to spend any unnecessary time or money on it. I need to clean it up a little though. I've searched and searched and cannot get an answer to this. I would like to us the recommended oil base primer that they sell for the tractor and implement paint, but I need to know whether or not I can spray it? I use standard HVLP guns (Harbor freight for primer and shitty stuff, higher end one for final finishes and topcoats). I have some experience spraying paint, but again this can definitely be a 20/20, 20 feet away going 20mph, paint job. I do not, however, want anything to do with sanding brush lines or roller lines out of the primer once it is on there. A quick block sanding job is all I am willing to put into it, which means it will have to be sprayed.

So has anyone sprayed the oil based primer that is meant for tractor paint? If not, what primer did you use under your tractor and implement paint?

#3 ·
I used a red oxide primer. It was pretty heavy stuff so I just thinned it a little extra. My HVLP gun only has a 1.5 nozzle. Color coat on one vehicle is industrial paint(gloss yellow). Used for fuel tanks, pipelines, farm equipment etc. 50' paint job. Other truck is partially done in T&I flat black over same red oxide. Put a little hardener in the black. Results suit me fine. About $100 in the yellow one, $50 in the flat black.

#4 ·
That sounds good to me. I just figured before I wasted the primer, ruined a gun, made a lot of work cleaning up a stupid mess, I'd ask if someone else had sprayed it. I found lots of people online that had said they sprayed the T&I paint, but nobody talked about the primer. I'll try it through my HF gun and see what happens.

thanks

#5 ·
i just painted my tractor the other day with valspar implement paint from tsc. i did buy a 2.1 tipped gravity feed gun for like 40 bucks at northern tool, and the tractor came out better than planned. i did add some thinner to the paint before i sprayed it. half gallon paint, to 1 pint hardener, and 1 pint thinner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.