Pirate 4x4 banner

Dana 60 v Dana 44 v Corp 14 v 9-inch

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  subranger 
#1 ·
I am looking to build a rear engine 4 seat rock crawler/ dune buggy. Duning is fun and so is rock crawling so why not build 1 rig instead of having 2 as I do now.
The items I dont have are axles, drive lines, transfer case, trans and wheels and tires.
I know that a 9" is alot less weight than these others. I know that the availability of all the axles I mentioned are very accessable. And I know that parts for them are readily available as well. I know that a 9" with 35 spline axle can be as strong as a Dana 60.
My Cherokee has an 8.25 chrysler and a dana 30 and can be very strong with the right components, but I dont want these in my buggy.
If I had a 9" rear, what axle would be great for the front? I believe I could do another 9" but the pumpkin would need to be on the right or left side of center. Are there are trucks/vehicles out there that have this option?

#2 ·
You won't find a 9" front application stock, under any vehicle. That leaves you with either building a custom front, at which point you can shorten one side and lengthen the other easily, or you can order a steering 9" from Currie, spider trax etc.

#3 ·
My Cherokee has an 8.25 chrysler and a dana 30 and can be very strong with the right components
I would like to hear more about this "very strong" dana 30....

x2 on the aftermarket front housing

#7 ·
Funny you mention it, a buddy of mine just finished his 72 blazer "dune" buggy, D60,14b, 400/205, full cage, linked front and rear with 16" coils and bypasses on each corner. Its a heavy truck that can do it all but what gets it through the dunes is all the suspension travel and of course the 14:1 big block Chevy. Its very similar to K5runners k5

#6 · (Edited)
You mention corp 14 in your post title [typo ?]hella strong cheap and available but realy heavy and in front it would have to be custom , I assume weight is a issue ? price ? if you just want strong and cheap just go one tons dana60 front 14 bolt rear ,but it sounds like weight is a issue and thats a heavy combo.
If you go custom in the front then the 9 inch is probably a realy good choice , lots of parts available and not too heavy .
Personaly I dont care for the 44 the tubes arent very thick , not sure but think most
44s are same tube wall thickness as the 30s.
Seems like if you are going to run it like a rail and catch air then you would want the front pretty light but realy strong so you might have to either go custom
[lots of options] or maybe truss or retube something like a 44...just my 2 cents

#8 ·
Not all Dana 44s are the same. Older Dana 44s from the '60s and early '70s have 1/2" thick tubes. In the late '70s the tubes got thinner to 3/8" and finally 1/4" thick. I think that today, late model Jeeps come with dana 44s and dana 30s that have equally strong axle tubes. As far as old dana 44 fronts go, Ford and Chevy both came in the 2.75" x 1/2" thick tubes for half tons, and 3" x 1/2" for 3/4 tons. I don't know about Dodge but it should be the same.

If you built a custom corperate 14 bolt front end and it was too heavy you could always get a larger engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.