Pirate 4x4 banner

disc brake at driveshaft on axle????

32K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  wahlstrom1 
#1 ·
Ok im posting here hoping not to get a new asshole torn from this question.In alot of videos i have seen big trucks with big tires that are running a rotor and caliper system on the driveshaft where it bolts to the diff the diffs are facing upright and what seems to be a gear ratio reducer?? im doing a dana 60 front and rear swap in my truck (94 f150 on 44"tsl's) From what i have seen this seems to be a strong and efficient setup. is it streetable?? does anyone know where i can find a breakdown of parts or diagram of how its assembled?? :shaking:

#2 ·
The trucks your looking at are running rockwell diffs, and that style of brake is not easily adapted to a D60.... and while streetable is questionable (it will stop the truck) it is illegal to not have wheel brakes, pinion brakes are a no no on the street.

#4 · (Edited)
Watch a video of a monster truck. If you notice, when they "lock'em up" one tire can spin backwards. The pinion brake will stop your truck fine from moderate speeds, but I wouldn't trust it on the highway. Braking power is not the issue, trucks like Grave Digger weigh about 10,000 lbs and run 66 inch tall tires and can run in excess of 80 mph and the pinion brake stops them pretty well. The issue arises when you step on the "whoa pedal" and one of your front tires spins backwards and slings you into oncomming traffic.

#6 ·
Watch a video of a monster truck. If you notice, when they "lock'em up" one tire can spin backwards.
This is because they run open differentials for tighter turning radius. If you had locked diffs (spools for safety with pinion brakes) then that wouldn't be an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.