Pirate 4x4 banner

Tacoma vs Sidekick for a noob?

863 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Nevada Ben 
#1 ·
I live in Southern California, and I really want a rig to get out and hit up some desert roads and old mining roads, plus something that can hold its own in the snow and sand dunes. Not really looking into hard-core wheeling at this point, just something for getting out on the weekends or taking up into snow country.

I currently have a 99 Tacoma, 2WD, that I've been using. It's pretty good for that stuff, but the fear of getting stuck out in the middle of nowhere has kept me from really taking it out.

My dilemma is whether I should look for a 4x4 Tacoma to replace the one I have (I need to own a pickup for the stuff I do), or whether I should look to get a 4x4 Sidekick or Tracker as a semi-dedicated off-road machine.

The Tracker appeals to me because you can take the top off (I always dug the open feeling of Jeeps), and its short wheelbase makes it seem like a pretty ideal off-roader. I've always thought it would be awesome to off-road in some kind of totally stripped-down jeeplet.

On the other hand, just finding a 4x4 Tacoma means I'll have one less vehicle to worry about, pay for, and park. It would have more space for supplies, and from what I can tell, will be a better vehicle for the 3-400 miles of highway that lie between my house and the trails. I'm not familiar with Suzuki quality and have no problem turning a wrench, but I have really appreciated the reliability of my truck.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about? What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have some experience with sidekicks, really pretty good little rigs. For mild wheeling they will do just fine. And being short wheelbase, rarrow, and light really helps them. Fairly reliable too. I would try to get a 5 spd personally. I agree having two vehicles is a pain as far as ins, maintenance, etc. But very nice to have one that is your daily driver and one that is your toy. I haven't looked recently but 4wd tacomas have always seemed to hold their value really good, and sidekicks can be bought for really cheap if you find the right deal. My oppinion is get the kick for having fun in, and keep your tacoma.

#4 ·
The Tacoma is much better all around. Sidekicks might make a nice project to trailer out for some fun but it sounds like you're looking for a daily driver or at least something you'd drive on the street more than on the trails.

If you wheel alone, you should be concerned about recovery, but 4wd doesn't always help that. Sometimes it just helps you get into more difficult predicaments, even farther out.

Just don't spend all your money on a new 4wd and leave nothing for recovery. You'll want things like solid recovery points, probably on steel bumpers front and rear, a winch, winch and rigging lines, a pulley block, decent shackles, treesaver, shovel, a good bottle jack, etc.

You can learn a lot with your 2wd. Do get it stuck a few times and learn how to get it unstuck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.