Pirate 4x4 banner

78 Bronco steering issue

554 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  TexAg 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 78 Bronco and a few weeks ago, it suddenly became very hard to turn the wheel, especially to the left. It's harder to turn left than it would be if I didn't have power steering at all. Sometimes if I time my acceleration with the turn just right, I can kind of trick the wheel into turning all the way to the left.

Steering pump looks/sounds fine. I jacked the front end off the ground and it turns from lock to lock with no problem. I took it to a mechanic to check the power steering box--he tried backing the adjustment off, but that didn't fix it. I asked if he could read the pressure, but he didn't have a gauge that would read high enough (wtf?). He said this is the first time he's been stumped in a few years. He told me if/when I do figure it out, to bring it by and show him what the issue was just so he can know for future reference.

I've looked through several forums to see if anyone had similar issues, but they all seem to arise after installing a lift or messing with the steering box, neither of which I've done. Any ideas?

#2 ·
First there is NO adjustment to back off on these boxes, what he adjusted should not be adjusted! It is to center the steering output shaft and should not be messed with.

Sounds to me that your steering gear is shot, may have a broke worm gear. Best bet is tear it down and inspect it.
A rebuild kit for these runs ~$95 at most auto parts stores.

#3 ·
Ah frick, that's right. This afternoon when I took it from the mechanic, I had to do a million point turn to get into my driveway. It's definitely harder to steer now than before I took it to the mechanic. Pretty much undriveable, so yeah, I'll have to figure it out myself or have it towed. Blerg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.