Pirate 4x4 banner

38's and TTB

10K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Southern_Pride 
#1 ·
Anyone ever have a three inch body kit and a six inch suspention kit on a F150 with a Dana 44 ttb front end running 38's? I have been told and read that the ttb will not stand it but saw a truck about a year ago running that set up I just never found the driver. I hear you can swap parts off an F250's Dana 50(?) ttb knuckles and hub(?) Figure the flameage will be on so I asked it here in the newb section.

#5 ·
If you just don't have anything to do that's fine but you are just wasting your time swapping in the straight axle that is marginally stronger than the ttb.

Save up for a 60 and don't waste your money on a straight 44 swap. You might find that you don't even break the ttb.

#7 ·
Dang I know I could not rock crawl just use it as a trail ride/hunting truck/daily driver also what all have you used to achive that clearance?

If you just don't have anything to do that's fine but you are just wasting your time swapping in the straight axle that is marginally stronger than the ttb.

Save up for a 60 and don't waste your money on a straight 44 swap. You might find that you don't even break the ttb.
That is adding more fuel to the original ideal.

X2 the 60.
Would love a 60 but I'm trying afford it in the next year and a half not three.

#14 ·
There's a couple builds on here with that front end. They were both koh style rigs. I wanna say search for juggy cant remember if that was the screen name or build name. The one I remember was on a wrangler

#16 ·
That is a tall order for the TTB. I run a power-lok and with 32" BFG's and 34" LTB's I broke the front end every single time I went out with it. Upgrading the Spicer joints and full circle snap rings helped, but I moved rom u-joint failure to catastrophic shaft failure.

At least chuck a D44 under it - you can make it live with 38's and an open diff.

#17 ·
I dont plan on locking it or adding a posi to it to just keep it open in the front as I said before this will be a light trail truck/hunting truck/daily driver for easy trails with my family in tow my daughter is already hooked on wheeling, my wife has lost her gusto since we got married, started paying bills and had kids and I want to rekindle the fun we used to have.

Now that said I'm wanting to build a second 87-96 with an extended cab to fit two childs seats in and be built for harder trails so I will look for a 1 ton with a solid axle from the factory or 3/4 ton since I have read that the swap for a 3/4 ton is easy and pretty much a drop in place ordeal...

#21 · (Edited)
Saw it done on a truck and I liked it I never found the owner of the truck and only saw it once but it looked pretty sweet and I wanted to find out if it was a mall crawler actual trail truck. Hence me starting this thread seeing if anyone has ran a ttb and 38's....

Yes I could run 35's and I do plan running them on my 05 F250 but I want something a big larger on my truck since I figure I'm paying for it I might as well put what I want under my truck.

#20 ·
X3 on the D60.

They are fairly cheap on Craigslist, anywhere from $700 to $1500.00 depending on ball joint or kingpin and the condition of said axle. You can spend that much easy trying to keep a D44 alive with 38s.

#23 ·
I understand the reason for going to the D60 and if I could I would but money is tight I'm not seeing awhole lot of trail action and want to build a lifted truck cheap then go buy a second truck to do a proper build on.

Saddly the economy has taken its toll on me just like many other Americans but I'm not giving up on my hobby just trying to do it as cheap as possible, if I did a sas I would have to buy more tools, welder, have more shop space, and take money off the table from my family. If I did a D50 or D60 or hybrid 9inch/D60 I would not beable to do it in the time I want to have it done in.

Now if you want to finance this build by all means pay me:flipoff2: but not everyone has the luxury or ability to build what they want right away so some of us take small steps.

#25 ·
My buddy actually had this exact set up and for street it is fine, he never realy wheeled it much. I'd say just stick with it till you have the money for a 60, a 44 would just be a waste of time and money. A sas on the ttb isn't that bad depending on your mech skills.

#30 ·
Yeah it has better strenght than most of the ifs that was on the market at the time also for what I'm looking to do what will include driving through deep ruts the ttb would be the more logical choice than a soild axle.

A buddy told me you can put a limiting strap on the front end to limit the articulation and it will live way longer...i am fixing to expermient with one
Keep us posted and it makes sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.