Pirate 4x4 banner

Piston, ring, rod/main bearing size

442 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Provience 
#1 ·
The 350 in my suburban took a massive :nuke: due to a lead foot and lots of water, ive never rebuilt anything ive stock and have never been into this engine so my question is how do i measure what size pistons, rings rod/mains i need.

#2 · (Edited)
really, take it to a machine shop. they can clean/measure/check that block faster and way more accurately than you could. i only say this because the measurements are critical, and if you get them wrong then you could be building a time bomb. there are many factors to measure for, such as block warpage, cylinder out of round, cylinder taper, crank main alignment, cracks, etc. really i usually have the machine shop get me the pistons and bore the cylinders based on thier measurements. that way you can assemble it with confidence that it's going to work. you can save yourself some money by tearing it down and doing some of the cleaning yourself, but they will still probably put it in thier commercial steam cabnet where it will come out spotless.

#3 ·
what he said, you Will spend more money in tools to properly measure and check everything than it will cost you to have a machine shop do it.

do yourself a favor though and completely disassemble it, including remove freeze plugs and stiff brush off heavy debris, prior to dropping it off with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.