Pirate 4x4 banner

Easiest EFI option?

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  CoryT 
#1 ·
What is the easiest, EFI option out there? Easiest to tune, easiest to maintain, and easiest to install? I am at the point in my build when it is time to either rebuild, or replace my worn out 350.
Thanks for any input.
Truck is a 1980 K10

#2 ·
if your on a budget like i am check Howell engineering TBI. they can sell you as little or as much of a fuel injection system as you need- say you already have most of the parts they could sell you an ecu and a custom burned prom to make it all work. check on here, there are vendors that sell the howell kits cheaper to pirate members.

if your not on a budget and want a super easy install then try a FAST EFI. ive heard from folks that they are the shit.

the biggest PITA is running the fuel system, it takes alot of time to do it right. don't forget about the return line, and if using an external pump that there needs to be both a outlet filter and a fuel sock in the tank. the sock will help with fuel starvation and acts as an inlet filter.

#4 ·
Obviously it would be cheaper to rebuild what you have, then convert it to TBI.
Best results would be to replace your 350 with a latter ('87 or newer) 350 (5.7L), or even better yet would be to get the newer 5.3L. Buy the engine with its wire harness, ECM, sensors, etc.
The '80 heads will not allow bolting on the stock Chevy TBI intake without modification to the bolt holes in the manifold. The newer (to '95) truck engines could easily converted to roller cam; car engines had roller cams.
You didn't say where you live, so SMOG laws could drive your decision.

#5 ·
5.3L, or 6.0L get the harness, ECM and all from a donor. These are COP ignition, and multi port w/ external injectors/fuel rail. Reliable and pretty simple to work on. Lot's of power and OBDII helps with diagnostics. If your running an automatic trans or manual you can have the ECM re-flashed like it came OEM w/ a manual trans and you wont get SES lights and such on the cluster for transmission faults. Engine is a bit lighter than the Gen I's too.

If you can pick up engine/harness/ecm/column/cluster from one donor your golden...

#6 ·
Thanks for the opinons guys. I was really thinking about going with a 5.3 swap, and I still may. They only draw back to running a stock TBI set up, is you are very limited to what you can do and keep the computer happy. With me being in the siuation that I am in, it would really be better for me to just buy a kit the is completely stand alone. Again, thanks for the input.

Oh, and there is absolutly no SMOG crap to deal with in KY!

#8 ·
Don't know for sure about the a/m harnesses, but if you could find one that would let you use the stock cluster it would be beneficial. All gauges combined into one. Still being able to use the OBDII also...

#14 · (Edited)
Too bad Edelbrock isnt making new ones anymore. 30 year old used crap is getting pretty sketchy

ebay harness $240 with heated O2 sensor.
7747+ $30-50 +/-
02, map, water temp, fuel pump $160 +/-
670 throttle body w/ iac and tps off a 454 $100-150
Moates adapters, soldering, and 2 chips $130
plug in for lap top $30

tuning my own chips for a cam'd 401, being able to turn off the stall saver and have the motor keep running down to 200 rpm and return ....... better than any carb.

simplicity = (Q-jet or motorcrap 2bbl) Carb> (GM) TBI> (yuk but it runs good) MPFI

I set my engine still running rpms down to 100 rpm, my stall saver program is essentially off set at 50 rpm so the iac never compensates as i lug it down, i set the throttle plates to dial in idle rpm. i also have a switch on my dash for the speed sensor, at 0 mph i drop into open loop, anything over 1mph im in closed loop. the bueaty is this option of running open loop when rock crawling means my ability to stuff the brake to the floor and idle down into the carburator performance range of 250-350 and not die is still thre but i dont have to keep feathering the throttle to maintain consitent fuel supply

#13 ·
Will be interesting, I am kind of in the same boat. I am running a 350 withtbi and now I am building a vortec chevy 383 with a roller cam and better parts, I am shooting for 350-400 hp. I have been looking at efi systems, I have been reserching Fast and powerjection. I am leaning tward Fast, But I am still hunting. It will be interesting to see if there is any good input or the usual assholes with no ideas but talk like they know it all. It would be nice to get some good info for a change. I have searched on this sight ond on the web, Still hard to decide.

#16 ·
I recently bought the FAST EZ for my 440 since there were no options in using factory stuff. It was a bit pricey but not too bad. I bought it with the pump/hose kit, so there was almost everything to do the install. I just had to buy a few fittings for the fuel cell and that was about it. Install is really easy. Instructions were pretty good, and wiring harness was all labeled for easy hook-ups. Hardest part was figuring out were to mount certain items. Also had to fab up a bracket for throttle cable and kickdown linkage... minor. It comes with a programmer that is really easy to use. No PC required, so you can do some tuning in the field if required.
So I've only started up the truck once, and it did start on the first crank. I let the truck get up to temp and then shut it off. That's as far as I've got so far. So is it good? It started up first try... so far so good. I need to get some other crap on my truck done before i drive it, but I'm impressed so far.

#18 ·
This is what I did.

This is what I did I runs perfect and is completely tunable. You can get in and adjust everything or put in some base info start it up and it will self learn. You can data log so to see what's going on. Notice in the 4 picture only 5 wires to hook up pluss the heated 02. Cant get any easer than that. I found that the fuel pump is available over the counter and have a spare in the truck, with a lifetime warranty. In the second picture Next to the TPS where it says Powerjection III thats the computer. I did talk with them recently and they are coming out with a 4th gen in the near future. The unit wasn't cheep but you didn't say you wanted cheep. Speed Way Motors was the best price I found, that's where I bought mine. It's installed on a BBC with a blower and runs great. I had the truck on propane but that was a pain.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Powerjection-III-EFI-System,27856.html

#20 ·
why not go just go mechanical diesel injection?? Sorry but that can't be beat for ease of setup, no tuning needed, just change the oil regularly. Hell my old 12V cummins is sitting at about 650,000 kms without opening the motor up. And once it does mile out, just replace the bearings while the motor is still in the truck over a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.