Pirate 4x4 banner

driveshaft slip splines...

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  spreader 
#1 ·
i know there are all kinds of options for relatively cheap for drive shafts IE: square tube etc.

but if one wanted to find the longest slip for a drive shaft via junkyard or other for dirt cheap... any idea what application has the longest stock slip? I've read on a search that the f-350 SD shaft has a longish slip, but no idea on how much total spline length to expect...is there a shaft slip that can be found at an auto wrecker for cheap that would even come close to a good option for cheap front shaft?

i have a sas'd first gen runner, rufs, and i do drive on the street a lot, and often in un-plowed snow conditions during the winter....would like to avoid square tube if at all possible, and would like to try to do it cheaper than the 200 bucks the tg slip is here.

i dont want to come across as som DAN mouthbreather, but when i searched, i found very little comparing actual options from wreckers.

thank you in advance

#2 ·
That is because factory suspension systems are not designed to have as much articulation as you have just added.

Figure that if you buy a used jy shaft for 35$ then you are probably going to spend another $100 or so to get it balanced and set to your length.

Suddenly, it just isn't really that much more expensive to get a long slip done right, and have no worry that it is going to come apart on you.

#3 · (Edited)
valid points,..but the way i see it is i will be spending the money getting the shaft balanced even with the tg slip,...

and a real possibility I've been told is to drill a hole in the large diam hollow tube of the shaft, and put several ounces of hydraulic oil in it to aid in balance,.. and plug weld the hole.

i know a few guys around here that have done that and claim it worked well,..

so if say a particular year, make or model of truck has a longer slip, then i would be substantially ahead on dollars.

im not expecting smooth as silk,... i am aiming for 40-50 mph without vibes. any faster and i shouldn't need four wheel drive.

so does anyone have any input on what the longest stock drive shaft slip yoke would be on an auto wrecker shaft?

(i have a square i am going to run for now, just want to see if there are other options economically)

i do have access to a lathe, and a very skilled builder to show me how to do it well.

#4 ·
Pto shaft from a drive shaft shop then cut up your stock one for parts. That's what I use to run when I had leafs.

#5 ·
the rear shaft usually doesn't need a long slip. the diff is centered, and because of that it doesn't move that far in relation to the output shaft of the transfer. even on my truck with 64's i'm running a stock 6" slip. the only time you might need a longer rear slip is if you have a very short wheelbase such as a flatfender jeep and have long travel suspension. spend the money to have it built right, especially if it's a rear shaft. out of balance can cause wear.

#6 · (Edited)
It would be helpful if you posted your total slip needs. My driveshafts only move 2" total in 16" of travel with a well designed 4 link. So I just use a stock slip off a Deuce and a half...super strong with 3.5" of travel. If you have long shackle and flexy leafs, you could need a lot of slip.

#7 ·
I don't have any input on slip length but as for the oil in the shaft, I can not see it doing anything for balance. how often is your drive shaft going to be level? All of that oil will be at the pinion end of the shaft and will do nothing at the tc end. I have built my own shafts using parts from the junk yard. I tack them together and install in the vehicle, then use a dial indicator to true them. I then tack again and remove for welding. I have never had one balanced and have never had any noticeable vibrations all the way up to 70 mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.