Pirate 4x4 banner

Help me beef it up before I bust it.

555 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  BC847 
#1 ·
I know squat about 4x4 stuff.

In a nut shell, I'm a small-fry diesel drag-racer (weekend-warrior).

My heap amounts to a 6400lb 1993 Dodge W250 Clubcab with a VE fueled Cummins 5.9ltr 12v.

Doing stupid-boosted launches has had me bust all three shafts of the automatic trans. It was originally a basic 46RH [AKA: A618 (essentially a 727 with overdrive)]. It now amounts to a 46RH case, a NON lock-up converter, a 48RE rotating assembly with billet/alloy shafts, increased clutch/steel counts, and other stuff.

The stock/OEM drive-train consists of an NP205 with a DANA60 front axle (open) and DANA70 (limited slip) rear axle. The drive-shafts are stock/OEM.

As it stands, I don't really know what questions to ask.

- I've read where the NP205 may have issues of the shafts wanting to crawl out of the case. I've seen a few vendors offering billet bearing retainers, covers, etc. It seems the output shaft may be the weak link (that oil passage being the culprit?). Are those billet parts worth messing with so as to reinforce those areas?

- I'm not sure what to think of the stock/OEM universal joints and yokes, etc.

- I'm planning on renewing the OEM limited-slip in the rear axle this winter as it's all original with over 240,000 miles and presents with the clutches and spider-gear shafts slopping around. Any suggestions there? FWIW, I've got one of the machined aluminum covers with the bearing support preloading bolts on it now.

- While the truck has over 240,000 miles on it, I doubt the front axle has 5000 miles on the differential. I think my concern there is the OEM manual locking hubs. If I recall correctly, the sliding part that does the actual engaging of the hubs to the axles is made of aluminum (dunno)? Any suggestions as to beefing that up?

I've beat the crap out of the search button without finding much that applies to my use. Could you good folks make suggestions for parts and/or threads where I might find what I think I'm looking?

Thanks guys.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.