Pirate 4x4 banner

Air Shocks (Brands, Pros, Cons)

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  hitman_1b 
#1 ·
I've done my research on all different brands of air shocks, whether its Fox, King, SAW, ... What I would like to know is the people who are running them, how are they working for you? What do you like about them, and what you dont like them? Things that make on brand better then the others based on your opinion. Personally i was leaning towards a set of SAW 2.0 series air shocks

#2 ·
Have fox 2.0 16" travel on my samurai buggy. Work great once you get them tuned. Which is something I think every brand will require that. Cons are weight capacity and a little unstable of camber. Pros: easy to package/cheap/ easy to tune.

#4 ·
I have a pair of Fox air shocks, 18" travel 2.5" diam. , they work well, but do require tuning. I like the tunability, my air shocks unload easily in 2wd, putting most all of the weight on the rear axle, which is great for my application. In 4wd, the pull of the front tires compensates enough to not allow lift, though.

Im tempted to put the 18s on the back, and get some 18" coil overs for the front. FOA has some good options that are not overly expensive, you might look at their product.

#8 ·
Ok seems like fox is a pretty good choice, I know that an air shock essentially works like a spring... but does that mean that the closer you get to weight rating of that shock, the closer its going to get to full compression? And they'll be going in a ranger with a 302 and tons

#13 ·
Im pretty much dead set on the air shocks, I would love to run the ORI's but they are a bit more then i would like to spend. And before all the flaming, im trying to build this on some sort of budget. I liked the air shock over a tradtional coil spring/shock set up because of packaging and tuneability. So it sounds like I should look shoot for one in the 2.5" range?

#15 ·
Are you planning on putting these front and rear? If you are gonna throw them on the rear you will also need to look at a suck down winch as well. They will "unload" going down hill or down rock faces and start to throw your ass up so to control this a suck down winch may be needed. Just food for thought that's all.

Chris

#17 ·
Good deal! I personally like the SAW's but those are the only brand I have run. I think they should all do about the same thing so it's a price/brand choice from there. Good luck with it and let us know what you end up buying and how they work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.