Pirate 4x4 banner

Weak link or Fuse?

821 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Valley Auto 
#1 ·
I'd ask this in General but those guys are Dicks:flipoff2: Is anyone building buggys with a weak point or Fuse to protect more expensive parts? Heres my build plan and thoughts

Warmed over LQ4 6.0 (400ish)hp/th400/klune v/cryoed np205/ hp dana 60/dana 70 U. 39-47 tire of some sort.

So After I finish my Solid dana 60 with 40 spline shafts ect ect what breaks? Ive seen driveline fuse's from some company but no one seems to run them. I dont want to break things I cant fix on the trail.

My thoughts were possibly using 1350 or maybe even 1310 u joints at the diffs? easy to change/ carry spares. I dont think traction is going to be the weak link. So what are your thoughts on this. thanks Ryan

#4 ·
Hell, that sounds like a stout combo, it is going to take a ton of abuse to break, but then it will be break from what wears out first/random even, so even then a "fuse" link isn't really the answer, as the wear will still occur.

#5 ·
Thats my thought, If I was running 35 spline outers I would run hubs as a lot of my friends have really good luck with the $5.00 hub gear in the mile markers breaking before anything else. But nobody makes a 40 spline lock out. I just dont want the klune v or worse to be that failure. But maybe I'll be lucky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.