Pirate 4x4 banner

tj vs buggy vs truggy

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  zeekinohio 
#1 ·
I've got about 4 grand to spend. Right now I've got a tj that I enjoy driving and wheeling lightly. I really don't want to do body damage. So, here's the question that I pose to you all.

Do I put tons under it and try not to trash it too bad or do I spend the money on a decently built truggy or buggy? Here are pics of the 2 that I've found locally and both in the $3500 range.

350 chevy engine and tranny, 9" ford rear, dana front, 373 gears, runs and operates excellent

I have a 90's model Toyota ext. cab rock crawler that must go. It has Longfield 30 spline axles, longfield hub gears, Straight axle Swap, Marlin cage, 4X Innovations tube doors with factory style slam latch, Marlin Hi-Steer, Dual T-cases, 5.29 gears, FROR T- case mount, chevy 63's on rear, S10 springs on front, 5 pt. harnesses front and rear, 22RE with TRD header, mass air meter moved to pass. side of engine to help keep it cooler, Hydro assist steering, 38" swampers, has new brake booster, and 4 wheel disc using all toyota parts, Battery moved to rear, and has 8 gal. fuel cell that will run for a couple days at Harlan. I have a 92 ext. cab frame that is in excellent shape with the IFS removed and a spare straight axle front end that goes with the truck and a short block 22R. I have taken this to Harlan Ky. many times and it does awesome. Motor runs excellent and has around 80K miles

See less See more
#3 ·
If you enjoy driving your Jeep, leave it alone and buy something else. If you're looking at the buggy, I'm assuming you have a tow rig and trailer. Whether to buy a buggy or a truggy is going to depend on you. Each one will have its advantages and disadvantages. With a buggy, you're going to get dirty and there will be no heat in the winter or a top in the rain. However, there are a lot more options with a full on buggy.

With the Yota, you've got aftermarket support for days, and the ability to get out of the weather if you need to. Plus, parts are going to be cheap and plentiful.

#4 ·
I do like my TJ, but it already has RE longarm kit, tom woods shafts, cambel hood. a lot of good shit. With heavy axles it would be a great rig. BUT like you said, I enjoy driving it and really don't want it trashed.

It's gonna be a hard decision, but Ive got about a week to decide.

#5 ·
That buggy looks like an abortion man. The toyota doesn't look to bad, but do you have the ability to tow either of them? If not this is all a waist. Not being a dick, just saying.

Doing tons on a TJ and not beating it will be hard to do I would think. Like having a mustang with a built motor and not romping the throttle at all. Plus if you aren't gonna beat on it with tons, why put them there? Being careful with a set of D44's and say (i know i'll get crap for this) 37's will last a while with some chromo shafts and knowing when to get out the throttle. Don't waist the time on that buggy though please!! Think you will have more money and time into making it right than it's worth. Toyota looks like a nice buy though if you can get it to and from the trails without a hassle.

My .02 cents for what its worth.

Chris

#9 ·
Well if you got the truck/trailer thing covered that's good.

From what I can see (and it could be the picture quality) the tube work looks like it's not the best. I could be way off base on that as I am not there to look at it. I could also have a bad opinion on it as I like buggies to look like something. I even see some of Ultra 4 cars as fugly cause of this same reason. It also looks as it those tires are beat, so throw another $1500 on top of the cost (again, could be the pictures). And again, I could be totally wrong, just what I can see.

#10 ·
How much do they want for that yota?

The beauty of a toyota is that the parts to replace, once you break, are relatively cheap.

Bend a leaf, head to the junkyard, break a rear shaft (super rare), head to the junk yard. Break a front shaft, ship it to bobby.

I was building an early bronco, but saw the light and went toyota. They are slow, yes, but will crawl with the best of them, and they take a beating. Browse the classifieds and you'll see the availability of parts...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.