Pirate 4x4 banner

double cardan ?

10K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  93fordCTD 
#1 ·
I'm putting a divorced np205 on My OBS ford f350, can I use the double cardan and driveshaft from a ford bronco? Will these have 1350 yokes? Do I need a special 32 spline yoke for the np205 TC?

On an unrelated note, are there 32 spline 1410 yokes for a divorced np205?

Thanks.

#5 ·
A 1330 u-joint can be made into a conversion joint by simply swapping two of the bearing caps. They are the same size joint with different cap sizes, obviously the 1350 cap is larger than a 1330 cap. This can only be done at the axle end because the machined area on the CV end won't accept the larger cap. Hope this helps ya out :D

#6 · (Edited)
Yes it does, thank You very much. So I just buy a 1330 and a 1350 U joint and put 2 caps of each on one of them then use it on the driveshaft, that is great.
I have another question if You don't mind, could I do this with a driveshaft from a bronco? I think they have 1330 U joints, have it extended and balanced then buy a receiver Yoke 32 spline for My np205, what are this called and where is a good place to order this parts and not break the bank.

Thanks again.

Never mind You already answered that question :emb4:

#7 · (Edited)
You can buy a 32 spline 1330 yoke to mate to the 1330 double cardon end, as well. That's what I bought when I did my SYE. I did have to modify it a bit on a lathe to get it to work for my application, but if you're just doing a normal bolt-in deal on a stock transfer case you should be good to go. I bought my yoke from www.northerndrivetrain.com and they were great to deal with. I wanted a Spicer brand yoke, and they were one of the few places I found that carried that particular yoke.

#8 ·
Thank You for the link, I will give them a call.
Sorry for some of My questions, I'm sure they sound silly but I'm on a learning curve right now, I'm sure We've all been there. :)

I have a getrag 360 4x2 and a ford divorced NP205 so I thought I should get a jackshaft (slip yoke) with 1410 on each side connect it to the getrag and buy a 1410 32 spline for the TC then another 1410 for the other side. Now I need a double cardan for the front so I could do as You did and get one from a bronco then match it to the TC which I think has 1330 but not sure. Does this sound right?
Btw this 4x4 is meant to get Me out of a spot where 4x2 isn't enough but I don't do a lot of off road with this vehicle, it is mainly highway use.

Thanks.

#9 · (Edited)
If you want you can get a front driveshaft from a super duty. It will have a 1350 joint at the axle and a 1350 double cardan joint at the tc. You can also take the flange off of the nv273 and have it turned down to fit into the 205 as long as you have a 32 spline front output.

You can get 1410's for the 205 as well. I got mine from here http://www.shakerbuilt.com/ . I have bought from him numerous times with great success and is the cheapest that I have found.

later
jenks

#11 ·
^^

The rear 1350CV flange/1350 rear shaft in my jeep was from a super duty. Look into front shafts from earlier model 250s and 350s as they should be 1330 cv flange at the tcase as another option.

Also, if you are using a Ford tcase, it will be 32 spline front output.

#12 · (Edited)
Thank You, I will post a thread on the classifieds here and maybe I'll get one. Does the tc flange on that superduty bolt to the yoke I have? I've never seen one but I'll also check the local JY.

Hereis My almost finished np205 crossmember, I will mount it and drill the holes on the frame once I get the jackshaft. Btw I checked and all the yokes have 32 splines on this TC.

Also I spoke with Tim from the link above and had a lot of good advise from Him, He was nice knowing I'm a newbie and explained a few things to Me, like one important thing I have to remember is to have the tc at the right angle so the angle from the front and rear driveshaft cancel each other and therefore I wont get vibrations, hope I understood that right he he. He recommended high angle for the jackshaft and 1410 yokes so I will be giving them a call.

Thanks.

#13 ·
The super duty shaft will not fit the yoke you have on there now. It uses a cv flange, not a cv yoke. A quick look found a few 1350 cv flanges for around $100, so I would look more into finding a driveline that will fit the yoke you already have, if possible, before buying a new one.

Have you been able to confirm which size ujoint your current front yoke uses, and if it is a cv or non cv yoke? How about what make, model, and year is the case from? This may help us figure it all out.

#14 · (Edited)
Well somebody offered Me a complete superduty front driveshaft, it does have 1350 on the axle side which is the same I have on My d60, now what do I need to use on the TC to be able to bolt to the flange it comes with?

Tomorrow I will be putting together the last few pieces of the tc crossmember I made for the np205, I will post pics in case someone want to see them. It is My first crossmember but I think it looks good, not to mention it is really heavy duty.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.