Pirate 4x4 banner

starting a build. yota vs sami

720 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  73FJBUGGY 
#1 ·
I want to start a new build! Will be my first 4x4 build. I currently have a 92 yota extra cab sr5, but I'd rather not dig into that. What should i go with? Im torn between getting a single cab short bed straight axle yota ( I've never been in a Toyota i didn't like) or a samurai. It'll have to be street legal for a while and it'll be a budgeted build. An opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
-Steve

#3 ·
Go with the Yota. That is what I originally wanted but because there are four of us in the family and I got it cheap ($255) I picked up a Sami. They are great off road but really way too small to drive on the highway. Also, pretty much everything I wanted for it I had to order off the net, even factory replacement parts - there just aint any Suzuki dealers in So Cal. Also, the "hot ticket" for Samis is to replace the axles with Toyota axles. Why not just start with a toy in the first place?

#5 · (Edited)
I have seen both work very well, but you are asking for opinions. So mine it to go with the Yota. The axles are good for light wheeling out of the box, and can be made very strong with easy upgrades. The split tcase is also very good and has many upgrades available. There is just so much aftermarket support for the Yotas.

#6 · (Edited)
i was more leaning towards a yota. i've been eyeballing my neighbors 1st gen 4runner though... it's been sitting for years. i think it's a v6 but i'm not sure if its straight axle or ifs. but its got the hard top on and i don't see any major damage. i may roll by and ask him about it, and i bet i could get it for cheap considering it's all stock and he drives a bmw haha :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.