Pirate 4x4 banner

89 Toyota Pickup - What to look for

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  b00sted 
#1 ·
Going to look at an 89 Toyota Pick-up, 2wd, 22RE with a 4-speed, under 100k miles. Body is clean and the seller says the frame/floors are clean aside from the typical light surface rust we get here in the midwest.

What are things I should look at specifically with these trucks?

I'd post this in the Toyota forum, but a lot of the 'holier than thou' guys will get sand in their snatch. Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
I'm assuming 4x4? 4 speed? My 89 has a 5 speed. They're solid trucks. Abuse seems to be the biggest problem with the old pick ups. If it looks like it was maintained it'll most likely only need the normal high milage maintainence like timing chain and guides. Anything that old will need oil leaks repaired. Nothing bad on the 22re if your handy enough.

How much are they going for in your neck of the woods?

#7 ·
Hell, in that case i would just plan on putting in a used 5speed transmission :laughing:

#8 ·
Yep, it's a 4-speed. The truck is very clean for being from the midwest. Two spots on the body where the paint is bubbling, and some spots here and there on the fram where it's getting some scale. I'm going to try and sand/paint those spots underneath with a good enamel or something.

As for the body, if it starts to bubble more, I'm going to rhino line or por-15 the rockers and wheel well lips, etc.

#10 ·
looks like a solid truck if he will let you though pull the valve cover off and look at the timing chain guides do it cause thats proboly one of the biggest problems with these trucks other than that make sure there isnt any gettofab wiring

#11 · (Edited)
I already bought it. Wiring is all factory aside from a crappy little sub-box/amp he added behind the seat.

Motor runs great. I don't hear any valvetrain noises or anything, but I'll check and replace the timing chain if need be. I'm going to drive it though the winter and then likely do a motor/trans swap for an LS-based 5.3 this spring.

Thanks for the help/info everyone...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.