Pirate 4x4 banner

What to do with this '69 Bronco

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Ben Segrest 
#1 ·
Looking for some direction for my dad's Bronco. Bought it for him a couple years ago and since the CJ I own is now wheelable, I would like to figure out what I can do to get his ride out there with me.

Here it is:

I know it is rough, and your inital thought is why bother starting with that, but it's what I have and really it will just be a trail only type ride. (I have another hood and right front fender to make it look....better)

It has a 302 in it and a 3spd.

I have an 87 4BT that I could use, but it has a Chevy adapter on it and Dad is a Ford guy.

Should I just try and find a 78-79 F250 and swap in the drivetrain. Trying to get to the 35-36" tire range.

I need to get started on this soon, looking for some insight.

See less See more
#2 ·
Take a look at the axles under it. If they are original, they should be a Ford 9" in the back and a D44 in the front. With maintenance and a few parts they should be good for 35's to 36's.

#4 ·
What to do with this '69 Bronco .

Easy....Toss that old turd on a trailer. Haul it to Denver, drop it off and pick up your new CJ, drive it home. Profit. :D

I'd love to have a rough as hell early Bronco like that. Something I wouldn't mind cuttin and welding on. I couldn't bring myself to fucking with a nice one.

Looks like a fun project. Start a build thread with lots of pics once you get to working on it please.

#8 ·
Do the FS Bronco axles not have, not sure what you call it, the cast housing where the radius arms attach to the axle? Is that why they would be more desirable than 78/79 F150 axles?

Going to try and get this thing in the garage this weekend and take some more pics.

#11 · (Edited)
I will tell you all now that I am ignorant to Ford and their parts.

I was under the impression that the pre '78 HP44 did not have the castings and were better, but maybe that is specifically for the Jeep crowd who are trying to install them with Leafs. We have a '79 F150 that we can rob parts from. What all should we grab from it before we take it to the crusher? It has the 400 modified engine, C6 and NP203.

Edit: It also has rust, lots of it.

#12 ·
I believe all of the '79 1/2 ton trucks, Broncos included had the cast wedge front axle. If you are running radius arms you will want the radius arms to go with the axle. Like posted above, keep the NP435 and Dana 20. You can run that '79 axle but with the radius arm setup only.

#13 ·
So, I don't know a whole lot about ignition systems. I put a HEI distributor on my CJ and it simplified everything down to one 12V power wire.

This Bronco has a points setup. It has power to the coil and power is traveling through the points as it is cranking, you can see the spark. But I don't think there is power coming out of the coil to the distributor cap and getting sent out to the plugs because we put a timing light on it and it didn't flash.

I am thinking the following course of action:
1. new plugs
2. new points and condenser
3. new coil

The wires, cap and rotor look new.

Also, I need to change the oil and oil filter. As we were cranking it, oil was leaking at the oil filter gasket.

Any suggestions?

#16 ·
what's the build plan for the engine? if your keeping the stock exhaust then i would at least have those manifolds machined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.