Pirate 4x4 banner

1997 GMC 1500 (Sierra) dif issues

802 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  247pia 
#1 ·
In 4WD the driveshaft spins...but the front wheels don't. 2WD works great! I've read I'd have to pull the dif cover just to see if there's something shattered or something...and "reverse-engage" doesn't get the wheels spinnin' either. I imagine something is shattered in the pumpkin...which would suck.

Any thoughts? That seems to be the most common issue when it comes to the problem at hand. I don't want to fix this :p at all. Thinking of going 1tons if it's really fucked up...

Thanks for any help!

#3 ·
More than likely it's the acctuator. Early 89-~95/96 used a thermal accuator, around '96-'97 they switched to a electro-motor style that was more reliable.

You can replace the accuator with stock ~$200 or get a 4x4 posi-lok Uses a push-pull cable
http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-k.html

#4 ·
Had one come in the garage last week with same issue, assummed the actuator was bad because as everyone has Stated its VERY common, tested the actuator it was good. Visual inspection found the right side axle shaft had come out of housing. These are held in with snap rings and are usually diffucult to get out. Didn't bother going any further and just swapped front diff. Moral of story, test stuff before throwing money at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.