Pirate 4x4 banner

2-4k winch on toyota?

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  jeep this 
#1 ·
im wanting to throw two 4k winches on my toyota ( front & rear)... i am aware ill end up having to snatch block everytime but just curious if im crazy?:eek:

#2 · (Edited)
I'de run that.
how much does a toy weigh? Not much at all compared to the bigger guys running 8000-10000lbs winches.

Sometimes you just need the winch just to get yourself unstuck, then you can drive out with power.

EDIT:
Two 4000lbs should work.

#3 ·
Just buy the right sized winch the first time, 8k is pretty much the accepted minimum for anything bigger than a side by side for a reason. You'll end up doing a bunch more work and spending more time on every recovery, get tired of it and just upgrade later anyway, why not do it right from the start?

#4 ·
You're not crazy, just ignorant of how things work. You should always go at least two times a vehicle's weight when getting a winch. Sure, smaller winches are cheaper, and they might pull you out of some spots, but the components are not made for that sort of weight and will fail very quickly. The cable alone is so small on those winches that I wouldn't want to be anywhere around you if you were going to use it to pull out a Toyota. You're talking some serious lacerations and possibly killing someone if that cable breaks.

Do yourself, and everyone else around you a favor and get an 8000# winch and be done with it. You can pick them up pretty cheap now and a lot of companies make very good budget winches.

#10 ·
Youve gotta think what you will be using the winch for(stuck in mud or rocks, winching up a hill, winching yourself back over from a flop, winching friends, etc.) Alot of toys wiegh in at or over 4k. Then add in the resistance of whatever your pulling over or thru. General wisdom says buy a winch rated for 2x the vehicle wieght. And even at that you may want a snatch at times. Also you need to realize that the winch is rated at 4k lbs for the first wrap on the drum. More wraps=less power. And as with anything else, using a winch at or above its rated capacity will wear it out quickly. Smittybuilt winches are about 300 for an 8k. The badlands winches are around 200 for an 8k. There are 20% codes you can always use. Theres plenty of other winches for around $300. Its better to have the right equipment in a bad situation. If you can afford 2x4000lb winches you can afford 1x8000 winch. If you REALLY need to pull from the rear and have no other option you can run the winch under the truck. Or set it up on a reciever and wire up front and rear.

Just my. 02c

#13 ·
I have a Sams club "Champion" winch $300.00 on my TJ and have done some hard long pulls on it. Its slow but always drags me out. I have been running it for 4 years now without any failures or issues. I wheel in the rocks, no mud. As stated above, different environments require different equipment. Figure out where you wheel, and buy the right shit to get you home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.