Pirate 4x4 banner

SAS/six shooters and high steer Q's

651 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Provience 
#1 · (Edited)
Thank god for the newb section. lol

So Im SASing my 91 4runner and I bought the trail gear six shooter kit, dont think im going to put it on yet, do I need high steer before i can use the six shooter?

#2 ·
If you have the 6 stud knucles then you should use the 6 stud steering arms, it is easier to do it all at once.

If you are doing and sas and you want to use your stock ifs steering box (you do) then you need to convert to high steer.

There are many other options, but in short you want to go that route.

If you already have the knucles, why don't you want to install them? Save you from doing it twice

#3 ·
Oh sorry I didnt post that I dont yet have the knuckles. (I figured when TG said "six shooter kit" it included the knuckles..I guess not. But ive got the the steering arms.)

I would like to use my IFS box..so I guess high steer is in the plan now.

I figured that when I get the money/time for gears and lockers ill get the knuckles too, since im tearing it down twice anyways.

So do I HAVE to get a high steer kit before I can wheel? Should I install the axle rebuild kit now..or when I do gears/knuckles

#4 ·
Huh? Now I am a touch confused....are you going to do the sas and lift and such, then run the stock tires and then at some later date regear? Why not just collect parts for a bit until it is all ready to go.

I wonder if the bolt pattern on the 6 shooter arms will work with the 4 stud knucles? If so, then you could run that setup until you can afford the knuckles.

Yes, you will need some type of steering setup, you cannot use the factory setup. Highsteer is the easiest way to go if you use the ifs box, unless you want to fabricate some other steering arms and go with a low steer setup or some such. (You don't)

Also, longfield vs tg 30s is like chevy vs ford, I run longfields because of his service and made in usa facets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.