Pirate 4x4 banner

GM Rear Axle Swap 9.5in 14bolt to ??

9K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  fegPA63 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys new here but been messin with 4x4's long time, dad has a body shop and I just got a 1988 GMC pickup truck for dirt cheap, 350 V8 4x4 and looks to have the 9.5in 33 spline corporate 14 bolt semi float. I'm looking to upgrade this rear axle to something stronger and preferably FF....question is I found a Dana 60 out of a 2wd from the 70's, would that even fit? Are the 2WD and 4WD Dana 60's different widths? Not sure if spring perches same throughout the years....also what about an older 14 bolt FF 4wd from the 70's, direct bolt in replacement for my 1988?

I am looking at throwing a Spartan locker or Grizzly locker in whatever new rearend I get, the lockers for the GM 9.5in 14 bolt are outrageously priced, even more than I have into the whole truck!

Thinking since I want to get rid of the 9.5 anyway maybe just weld it up? Got a nice 220V MIG that'd do it good. Any advice on what I should be looking for and especially backward compatibility with regards to the spring perch width would be appreciated. Perhaps a top 3 list of the best rears I should be after for this 1988 GMC thanks

Should I just keep the 9.5in GM 14 bolt if I only plan on running 35's?? Anyone recommend a locker for the 9.5in?

See less See more
#3 ·
sf 14 cant find the Spartan locker anywhere, see the lockright is $400

can get a FF 14 for $150 used, then locker is like $350 or Grizzly is $400, I think for strength the Grizzly is better than the lockright in FF 14 correct?

Man.....sucks the lunchbox lockers for SF 14 are that much more expensive. Also, I believe I have the Gov-Bomb (its on the RPO code) but have to pull the pumpkin off to be sure. If it's Gov Bomb am I screwed since it's not an open carrier correct?

So if it's Gov-Bomb in my SF 14 should I just weld it up with the 220V MIG?

Sorry for all the Q's

#5 ·
Oh trust me, everything in due time my friend but I need traction first. I can run the rear locked on the new setup after I do a SAS on the front, it's going to be a custom job on the front end.....only part I think I'll have trouble with is the steering setup. But anyways, I need to get this 14 bolt 9.5 locked up somehow, Yukon not a good option huh? With the Gov Lock carrier I am kinda screwed anyways, need an open carrier from my understanding to run anything. Thats why I'm thinking just weld it up hardcore. I really dont care if it chews tires or acts wacky on the street, if its snowy or bad out I'll be runnin 4WD anyhow plus I only drive 10 miles roundtrip to work each day. If I get sick of it welded up, I'll swap in a 14FF or an old 12 bolt I have lying around.

I just need to know - am I screwed with the gov lock as far as getting a real locker? If yes, how do I weld this baby up

Thanks

#6 · (Edited)
Since the Gov Bomb carrier is useless for lockers anyway, I really dont care what happens to it. Can I just take out the Gov bomb and put the carrier back together empty and then weld it similar to this http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/images/DCP_6493.JPG

to create one big spool? Why weld the gov bomb itself and reinstall when you could remove it and just weld the carrier into one, am I missing something?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.