Pirate 4x4 banner

Toyota clutch help

875 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Blueyota82 
#1 ·
well i have bought my second toyota hilux, this being an 87. this truck has a new clutch but is stupid soft. my old truck had a stock clutch but was really stiff like some stage 2 lce crap or something. since this is the second toyota i have ever driven is a stock clutch normally this plush?

If i am crazy is there any adjustment i can do to make my new trucks clutch stiffer? i would like it to respond more instead of it slipping all over the place. both transmissions are typical g-52's behind 22r's.

any info will be greatly appreciated:D

#2 ·
If it is actually slipping, then you have an issue with the installation of the "new" clutch.

I am not sure what your reference of stupid soft is, but mine is nice and easy to operate and i have never had an issue with it slipping, either underpower or holding such as downhill.

Verify that you have no air in the hydraulic line, and no leaks...aside from that you would need to take it apart to find out more. Such as, the friction disk was replaced and the flywheel is burned up, or the pressure plate is no good, etc..

#3 ·
Instead of starting a new thread I figure I'd revive this one. The clutch in my 89 2wd 4-speed toyota just went out. It went from stupid soft to nothing. Are there any common issues with these? I'm guessing the slave started leaking or something after I power-shifted it a few too many times the other day(and haven't driven it since).

#4 ·
If the slave started leaking, then you would be able to verify that issue. Have you even looked to see if you still have fluid in the system? Does the slave cylinder look like it is oozing? if that is your problem, then it is about a 20 solution. Very cheap and easy to rebuild a failed slave.

If not, and your fluid looks good, then pull the transmission and take a gander at the condition of your 20+ year old clutch. It may just be time for a replacement

#5 ·
I was just wondering if there was a common thing that's known to fail. It definitely lost fluid somehow...I lost the pedal completely in about 10 miles of city driving. The clutch was working perfect up until the system didn't have enough fluid/pressure to disengage.

Luckily it was 5:30am becase I had to roll through a few red lights(zero traffic) in 2nd gear and rev match it to get the rest of the way home. Even at that point the clutch itself was great, no sign of slipping.

I used to have this problem with the 6-speed in my Camaro. GM installs a restrictor to prevent abuse, so anytime I'd hit 2nd gear hard, the pedal would stay to the floor and I'd have to pump it a bunch of times to get it to come back.

#7 ·
When I installed my centerforce dual friction clutch in my 82 toyota it went from the typical stiff ass pedal to stupid soft as well. I can push the pedal down with my hand its that soft but i have been running it like that for a year now and still no problems and im running a mild built 22r, locker in the rear and 35x15x15 superswampers. so it might be just the way the clutch is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.