Pirate 4x4 banner

Which front end?

653 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  oldenginebuilder 
#1 · (Edited)
So I found plans for a DIY frame for a CJ5, then spent 2 weeks researching that.
Fabricating my own frame and cage isn't the challenge. Nor is the SBC / 700R-4 / NP241 ( 231? ) /driveshafts / axles / leaf springs / shocks / steering / brakes.
It's just that I want a solid front axle, that is neither as wide nor as heavy as a 1-ton, and isn't a reverse-rotation ( Jeep ) which won't work with my choice of transfer case. I would do leaf springs front and rear.
Plans are 32" tires, axles ratio around 4.56:1
I don't feel competent to narrow any solid front axle.
Can I just weld up the 2 halves of an Explorer TTB, or is that reverse rotation?
Should I just start with the frame and front suspension from an S-10? Or the front subframe and stuff from an Astro AWD?
What about the Jeep Cherokee axle with an Explorer transfer case? I better check the ratio in that.

#2 ·
First of all, there's no such thing as reverse rotation. There is reverse spiral, aka reverse cut aka high pinion, but everything rotates the same as a standard cut gearset. The gearset is cut the opposite direction as standard cut because the pinion is above the centerline of the ring gear.

Sounds like a reverse cut Dana 30 out of a Cherokee would be a good choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.