Pirate 4x4 banner

1999 chevy 5.3 performance up grades

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  86chevyjoe 
#1 ·
i just recently purchased a 1999 extra cab chevy with the 5.3L w/ 165K miles. it already has a k&n filter and intake on it.

this rig is my dd but will tow around 5K lbs or less a couple times a year. i plan to put a leveling kit and 285's on.

what upgrades would you guys recommend? i already have the air intake and would think headers and exhaust job would help. whats the best programmer or tuning place to send it to? any help is appreciated. thanks

#2 ·
Exhaust and headers help tons on those motors. You can go crazy with a cam/tune/injectors/coils, but if you want to do minor improvements on an already impressive motor, just do the exhaust and switch that KN over for an A.R.E. oil-less washable filter.

#4 ·
this
the exhaust on these trucks flow pretty good and unless your running boost or spray you don't need to touch it unless you want more sound

a custom tune will do wonders on these motors but read my next line

I would start saving up for a new trans if its the original,and watch out for the G80 in the 10bolt raer diff
some 4.56's would help with the 285's and towing
a 6.0L drops right in,little bit of work to swap a 4L80e but also easy

#6 ·
couple more questions. this thing will see mostly highway and city driving towing a trailer maybe 5 times a year. i'm thinking 4.10s with the 285s?

what programmer is the best for these trucks? it seems everybody and their brother offers a programmer but i just have no idea which one is the best bang for my buck.

chevyboy, will an afe filter work on a k7n air intake tube?

#7 ·
I wouldnt bet on it but I dont have the experience to say one way or the other. And exhaust will help. ive seen it first hand more than once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.