Pirate 4x4 banner

Coils, Leafs, WTF, opinions?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Loftis61 
#1 · (Edited)
All right! Need help convincing myself of the best route to take.

HERE GOES.
I am planning my first axle swap. I have an 83 W150 short bed. I was going to build the 44/9.25 from an 85 W150 I picked up for parts. Then put them in the 83.
Then a friend offered me one tons from a 04 F350 Super Duty. Dana 60 HP LH drop and Sterling 10.50. Everything is there, coils,steering box,rims,tires,rear leafs,drive lines,271F t-case,etc.(20,000 miles) So of course I bought them.

So of course now I need to figure out WTF I'm gonna do. I've researched what is involved with switching RH to LH drop. Definitely a lot of work, but sounds like a cool project for me and the kid.

What I am undecided on is whether or not to try and adapt the coils and such into the leaf sprung 83 W150 or leaf spring the 04 d60.(why right?)
I am aware of the division among leaf and coil guys, so I'm hoping not to re-hash that.

I figure I have several options available at this time.
Make the coil sprung 04 d60 work in the 83 W150.
Convert the coiled 04 d60 to leafs.
Sell/trade the whole lot for a set of dodge 70/60s and bolt them in.

I am planning a multi-purpose rig that will be driven on-road for occasional side work. I plan on 42s eventually. This rig will see significant use/abuse. As well as flat tow my 67 cj5.
I plan on minimal lift, major trimming,ditching the bed for a flat bed conversion,home built bumpers,hydro assist.

Would love opinions on which route some of you might take. Searched a lot my google finger hurts(lol) so I think I can tackle whichever route I chose.

Thanks Again in advance

See less See more
#4 ·
Technically wouldn't the 04 d60 coil set-up be a three link any way? I would think I could fab some type of coil bucket to the 83. Unbolt the massive arms and replace with tube and bolt em to the frame?
Couldn't I then re-use all existing brackets? It wouldn't be Ideal as far as stuff below the axle, but I would think any route I chose this would have to be considered.
I've seen a shit load of stuff on here that is out of my league. But it seems like this would be pretty basic.

#9 · (Edited)
QUOTE: '04 was a split year, the early ones were leaf sprung, later '04s switched to coils.

In my infinite ignorance it almost appears there are flat perches on top of the brackets for the arms. (would some one please tell me name of arms that go from the back of the axle to the frame? Brain Fart)

#14 ·
A quick and easy setup would be to buy extended radius arms from someone like trailmaster or such for an 04 f350 than fab some mounts on the frame for them. If you think they might be too long you can probably find some one with factory ones that has gone extended.

#15 ·
Great suggestions,
Please keep them coming.
Was doing some measuring the other night and realized that switching to driver drop will also require moving or sourcing a smaller gas tank to accommodate the T-case. I think I was fine with all the extra work involved to do this, until I saw this gas tank issue. I am now thinking just find the damn dodge 70/60 I need to make this simple.:shaking:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.