Pirate 4x4 banner

1990 4runner overheated-what to check for?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  57128 
#1 ·
My sisters 4runner overheated, 1990 3.0v6 auto. She was out of cell service when she noticed and tried to push it along until she could get service to call for help. It overheated and stalled out on her, would not start back up. Someone drove by and she ended up getting it towed home.

Looked at it real quick while over on christmas and will be going back this weekend to look at it better. It fires right up now, but she hasent driven it since being towed home. I checked the oil and there is no milkshake or signs of water in the oil. It was out of coolant, so I added coolant to it until full, I didnt see any bubbles in the coolant. I did notice that looking down the neck of the radiator the tubes are all plugged up with scales and rust.

She wants a little more piece of mind before taking the thing out again, She already ordered a new radiator for it. So what else should I check to make sure there isnt any damage to it?

#2 · (Edited)
Do a compression check, quick and easy to do, as lojg as the numbers come out I wouldn't be too concerned with head damage. Make sure that you know why it lost all the coolant, also remember that if the radiator was full of shit, the motor coolant passages probably are as well, yeah it will still work, but might be time to start thinking about pulling the motor for an overhaul.

Edit: just thinking about this a minute more, you said she ran it hot enough to seize the dang thing? Yeah...might be worth pulling it sooner than later, hot spots and potential for piston ring damage seem likely to me.....hopefully somebody with more exp will chime in on that though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.