Pirate 4x4 banner

Military Mulit-Fueled Engines

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mountainguyed67 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed one in their rig?

The 2.5 ton trucks are reasonibly priced from auction. I'm thinking about installing the entire driveline. I know the Muli isnt't the highest in horsepower, but should do the job.

Does anyone have experience with these? What about parts availability?

#4 ·
I pulled one of those motors once, and my engine hoist wouldnt even budge it. My old mans 38 hp diesel tractor even had its hands full getting the damn thing out. I wouldnt be afraid to say that its 1300-1500 lbs. You would probably be ahead to just just use a newer diesel and veg oil if your looking for alternative fuel.

Robbie

#6 ·
It's also important to note that the LDT-465 and it's variants are not designed to run on different fuels long term. A lot of people make the foolish mistake of thinking the fuel compensator will allow the engine to run on anything but in reality, it was designed to run on diesel but be able to burn gasoline and other military fuels in a wartime emergency for short periods. The engine will run on diesel, vege oil, bio-diesel, ATF, filtered waste oil and similar things just like any other older diesel engine, but you can't simply put whatever you want in it without consequences. Gasoline and similar fuels will not lubricate the engine properly and will eventually damage it.

And again, it is a big, heavy engine. It's not powerful, but was designed to run damn near forever with abuse from young, stupid and poorly educated drivers while pulling a cargo truck around at 45 MPH. The Cummins 6BT found in many Dodge trucks is considered a huge upgrade in performance over the 465 and would be a much better candidate for a swap.

#8 ·
Excuse me? What about my statement was untrue or inaccurate? Are you implying that no one in the military that drove these trucks was ever abusing them? Or may have been poorly trained? Or below average intelligence?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.