Pirate 4x4 banner

Fuel Cells Smog Legal?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Country69 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone in Ca. know if a bed mounted fuel cell would be legal on a street driven truck. Do not a lot of them state for "off road use only"

#2 ·
Yes and no.
Depends on the vehicle. If you use the factory fuel tank filler tube,vapor return lines, charcoal canister, in-tank pump fuel return lines ectera.
More info is needed.

#3 · (Edited)
Sure ,
Got a Ca 83 W150 smog legal truck. Picked up some axles for what I think was a good price. Will have to switch sides on the Chunk to run these. Researched and seems doable.
Was thinking 23 spline input from 241 will make the 271 I have bolt to the 727 trans.( Gain of drive flanges) Or find a driver 208.
Coils / Radius Arms doable.
When measuring the other day noticed there will be clearance issue with the front of the plastic fuel tank.
Researching other tanks and or locations.
Which leads me to this question. If I relocate the existing tank or source a different or new fuel cell? Extend and re-use all existing hoses and smog equipment, Does any one know if It will fly the visual and smog Tests? Would this be considered tampering or removing something from a pollution controlled vehicle? Or whatever the language states?

#4 ·
more that likely it would not fly. alot of vehicles require a visual and functional test on the gascap and filler neck.

as a licenced smog tech, i can tell you if i was to see it i would fail it. i doubt they are not on the California ARB's website as approved aftermarket equipment. you can check there for the most accurate data.. most of the fuel tanks located "in bed" are for fuel transfer only, and i've only ever seen ones for diesel, which has low/no emissions.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks again sjracer. I figured it would not just thought I would ask. Was hoping a smog guy would chime in. Looks like I just need to get over this HP 60 thing and trade for a DODGE 70/60:D

Oh yeah? Have you seen any flatbed conversions come through? I assume if I Maintain the stock filler neck and vent hose it would pass visual? She passed the pressure test fine last year.

#8 ·
you will probably have to take it to the referee, and then it's up to the attitude of the guy your trying to convice that it was all kosher at one time.

fwiw, i have two stories about this and the referee process....
one, a friend of mine converted his 1985 chevy truck from feedback carb to TBI using all stock parts. took it to the referee to get the new emissions sticker. the ref told argued that he didn't have the correct trans (4l80) vs the 700r4 that was stock to the truck. after much research he found that some tbi trucks had either trans, he produced his proof so the ref finally passed it.

second, my friend with a 78 dodge pickup carb'd 318, did a efi swap/tranny upgrade with a later model (not sure what model, 5.7L though) out of a 90's dodge truck. had to source a fuel tank and filler neck from a jeep grand cherokee to make it all work and pass visual. ref gave him grief, but finally passed it.

comes down to, have your documentation that it's all there. that way there is less room to argue. ref's hate to look up things, or have to argue with you about it. so if you have all your documentation, getting a referee label is alot easier.

#10 · (Edited)
To add to SJracer's examples, I was told by the CAB, and my Referee, that I could not install a Chevy TPI engine mated to an NV4500 manual trans. The reason being that no truck ('95 or older) ever came with a TPI engine, and no car ever came with an NV4500 trans. Since I was set on the NV4500, I had to swap in a TBI engine. Additionally, the EPROM in my ECM had to be correct for a 1/2-ton truck platform that actually had the NV4500+TBI V8 that was SMOG qualified for Calif, for the year of engine I was using. I had to find documentation that my specific combination was available in 1994, the year of my engine; that was not easy! The Ref does check the EPROM number during the inspection---using his scanner. He did not, however, look at the fuel tank, other than to check the fill cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.