Pirate 4x4 banner

Can u combine a staun inner beadlock with a regular beadlock rim

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  73FJBUGGY 
#1 ·
I have done a few searches and cannot find what I am looking for.

Does anyone run inner beadlocks with a regular beadlock rim?

I have 39.5 pitbull rockers on 15 inch rims with DIY beadlocks, I have been losing the inner bead and burping air, I am looking for solutions. I have found threads where people have used duck tape on the inner safety bead, window urethane, and all kinds of adhesives to help with this issue. If I went with Stauns it seems like it would be easy to install by just removing the outer ring and pulling the tire up and putting it in there. Is anyone doing this? I don't want to have to change rims, I could not get that first bead on that pitbull rocker myself, I had to take it to a tire shop, and even they had a hell of a time getting it on.

#4 ·
Depending on how his DIY beadlocks are mounted, I'd think the Staun wouldn't put much pressure on the outer bead, since it's bolted to the outer ring. I think the Staun would push on the inner bead, and mostly against the rim on the outer bead.

Just a guess.

Stauns aren't worth the $$ IMHO...

#3 ·
Best bet would be to give Harry (the old importer) a buzz to see what he thinks. My gut says they might be ok but I'd wonder if you can run enough pressure against the DIY beadlocks for them to work well. I think they'd need to run around 40psi.

Right now they are pretty hard to get ahold of since Staun mostly went under. Harry is working on a version of their own under a CoyoteSomething business name. I think I've still got his email around, pm if you need it.

#5 · (Edited)
There are plenty of guys on here running inner airlocks and standard beadlocks. Mainly for the reasons you stated, they just didn't want to change rims. I also had a terrible time with inner bead burping on a set of PBRs. The duct tape trick does work. Two wraps of high quality 3m tape, right over the safety bead and butted up to the rim lip (but not going up the curve). Inner Air Lock makes a better product if you end up going that way.

http://www.innerairlock.com/

#6 · (Edited)
dont do it

I have Stauns inside my traditional beadlocked 42" iroks on 15's. All of them are blown. My best guess is that they stuans are pushing against the inside of the rim, not to a tire inside the rim where it would normally be and it is causing them to tear the tube. I bought them used that way and thought I scored having both....now I have to tear them apart to get them out.

#7 ·
Starting at post #666 (I hope that's not an omen) on my build thread, we had this same discussion. Two guys were very positive on the inner air locks. One also said that there were some friction issues on the stauns that popped tubes. Just check it out and talk with them as well to get a balanced view.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=904558&page=2

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies, thats what I was looking for, real world reviews. I am thinking I may just try the duct tape trick and up grade my on board air system.

The only time the tire went completely flat was when I was running 7lbs of pressure in my tires and I was driving around Moab slick rock fully locked. The rockers are very sticky on the slickrock and it seemed to just pull the bead off while trying to turn. I now run 10lbs on the slick rock trails and have only had some burping. The only problem is, the PBRs stick and drive so much better at 7 lbs than 10 on my rig.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies, thats what I was looking for, real world reviews. I am thinking I may just try the duct tape trick and up grade my on board air system.
I just did the duct tape method on mine but have not tested it yet. Wrap the saftey bead with the duct tape going all the way to where the lip of the rim curves up, but don't go up the curve. Keep the duct tape flat but all the way to the edge where it starts to curve. Do exactly two wraps of high quality 3m or equivalent tape. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.