Pirate 4x4 banner

wheel fitment

880 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  NJMetalhead 
#1 ·
my rear axle is a corporate 14 bolt - 8 lug - with virginia 4x4 rear disc conversion. It utilized I believe 73-81 K 20 front discs and calipers.

The search besides coming up with a bunch of for sale ads with all of the content deleted, seems to imply that a 15x8 with 2.75" backspacing will clear with some grinding. I've got a 200 gallon compressor and a die grinder. I've been able to stick magnets to my arms before, and I'm sure I'll do it again.

Can anyone confirm that they fit for me? I dont know the nomenclature, I couldn't tell you the difference between a dana 60 and a dana carvey.
Just need to find a 15 inch wheel for the back of this thing.

Thanks

#3 ·
Oh what the hell, I am feeling generous this morning. Yes a 15" wheel will fit on your 14FF. I myself am running 15x10 wheels with a 4" backspacing on my 14FF. They fit just fine after some light massage work with a flap wheel on my grinder. This was more or less to smooth out the ruff casting, you won't have to take much off at all. Just bolt the wheel on and check to see how much you need to take off. Once the wheels turns freely without contacting the caliper you are done.

P.S. This search function is your friend. This question has been answered on here many times before.

#4 ·
I have wheels 15x10 wheels with 2.75 backspacing and they rubbed the calipers when i put them on. I have to grind the caliper down to make them not rub. A trick that I learned from gutter runners thread is to paint the caliper, put the wheel on, spin it, then take it off to see if it rubbed. This idea worked great for me and showed me exactly where I needed to take more material from, did the same for the front.

#5 ·
I'm surprised by the comments above with the 2.75" BS wheels requiring grinding to make fit on 3/4 calipers, especially the rear since the calipers already sit further inboard than the front (basically the same as putting wheels with less BS on). I know different brands of wheels have different clearances, but I ran 2.75" BS wheels on a D60 front (much bigger brakes) and it required about 30 seconds of flap wheel work on each side to clean up the castings. A buddy has a '78 Ford D60 front axle that required nothing to fit 2.75" BS wheels.

My rear 14FF has the typical disc brake conversion using 3/4 ton rotors and calipers. with 2.75" wheels almost all of the caliper sits inboard of the wheels, so not really sure how they could rub.

#6 ·
I am not running 2.75bs wheels, mine have a 4"bs. I did have to take some material off the caliper but not much, just smoothed out the rough casting of the caliper basically(vatozone calipers, go figure:shaking:). I do agree that a wheel with only 2.75bs should fit without any issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.