Pirate 4x4 banner

Buick Long block 350?

631 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ChevyDawg92 
#1 ·
Someone has offered me a rebuilt 1986 Buick long block 350 motor. What exactly is a long block? Does anyone have any specs or info on this engine? Basically, is it something that would be worth dropping into one of my trucks (70's - 80's Chevs) ?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Long block / short block are trade terms referring to the 'completeness' of an engine.

A short block will not have cylinder heads.

A long block will have cylinder heads and may have some of the tin.

I am pretty certain Buick was no longer building their own V8 in 1986. Might want to make sure of what you need and what they are offering.

#5 ·
Might want to make sure of what you need and what they are offering.
I guess what i'm asking is how hard would it be to drop this motor into my truck? And what kind of power does it produce?

I use my trucks for offroading, mudding, and daily drivers. I like decent power, I have a 305 in one truck, 350 in the other, and 400 in the last. The 305 is NOT ENOUGH power, 350's are great and there are lots of cool mods for them, the 400 is a lot of fun. How would this compare?

If I got it, it would probably be destined for my '86 chevy pickup that has the horrific oil burning 305 in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.