Pirate 4x4 banner

22re peeing coolant

869 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  BumpyDodge 
#1 ·
Just spent some time searching, and although there are tons of threads about leaking 22re motors, I cannot seem to find one that fits what I am experiencing.

The truck is an 89, 22re, 5spd. Lately, when I park, I occasionally find a puddle of coolant underneath what appears to be the overflow tank. the overflow tank will be filled up, but the radiator will be low. I will fill it up, and the same thing will happen. No other leaks that I can see coming from hoses or freeze plugs. I replaced hoses less than one year ago, along with thermostat and the little hose running from the radiator to the overflow tank.

If anyone has had any issues similar to this, please let me know. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to the puddles. Sometimes I drive all over town with no leak, sometimes I move it across the driveway and I will find a huge puddle.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Yeah sounds like a headgasket issue allowing exhaust or combustion pressure into the cooling jackets. Do a Compression Test and a Cylinder Leak Down Test to find out if your cylinders are good.

Also, you can do a pressure test on the cooling system to see if you can find any leaks while the engine is cold and you are able to crawl around on the thing. If you can't find anything, check the oil and start suspecting an internal leak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.