Pirate 4x4 banner

Engine filled with gas - will it be alright?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  japickar 
#1 ·
A couple months ago I swapped a 502 crate motor I bought from a fellow pirate member into my M1008. I got the motor installed and running but did not get a chance to tie up all of the loose ends on me truck until this week.

The truck has been at a buddy's shop, and he told me that it would not turn over, so he pulled the plugs and found fuel pouring out of each cylinder. Last night I changed the oil, and got about 6 gallons of oil/gas mixture out of the motor. All I can figure is that the last person to move the truck left the electric fuel pump on as I have it on a toggle switch. After it completely drained, I filled the engine with fresh oil and new filter and let it idle for short intervals, never letting it heat up too much.

I am going to change the oil again in it this evening, and as many times as necessary until any evidence of fuel is gone. Is there anything else I need to do or should do before running it down the road? Is my motor already screwed? Any opinions are appreciated.

#2 ·
You did good by flushing it out. Fuel will evaporate out of the internals everytime you fire it up. Doesn't sound like the engine ran with excessive fuel in the crankcase, if it did it could score the bearings.

You got good oil pressure when its running ?

#3 ·
As long as you drained it and changed the oil BEFORE you started it, I'm sure it's fine. Gas is a petroleum product, it's not like it was full of water. Also, with a little heat, it will evaporate pretty quick.

My only concern would be if some damage was done by the cylinders being hydrolocked with gas and cranked over.

#5 ·
The oil was changed before I started it, and the engine was so hydrolocked and the battery was weak so it couldn't turn over.

I changed the oil in it again last night and took it up the road. Oil pressure was good and motor ran fine. I think it will be alright. Thanks for the help.

#9 ·
Yeah this one is in really good condition. Only rust was in the floorboards, and it wasn't much. The old diesel ran great, but it was just too weak for me after the lift and tires. I have crossover steering sitting in my garage and 40's planned for it, but it looks like I will be selling it before I get a chance to do everything else to it....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.