Pirate 4x4 banner

Redrill a high steer arm?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  usmcdoc14 
#1 ·
I give up on searching.

I am building a reasonably low riding TJ. I have a ford D60 with high steer arms from ORD. The drag link and tie rod both mount on top of the arms.

I would like to make them mount from the bottom to reduce the amount I need to notch the frame for them to clear.

The couple places I googled said you could just taper them from the bottom and go half way through, but I don't know what vehicle they are talking about. If it's a honda civic then yeah sure, not much abuse to worry about, but is this a normal normal practice for off road vehicles that see a little more abuse?

What other options do i have short of buying new arms?

#2 ·
#5 ·
yup. drill hole slide the bushing in and tighten. its in essence a "cone washer", when you tighten the TRE it fits the taper and also expands the insert locking it in place.
I ran one on 37"s with hydro assist for almost a year before I changed knuckles. Never had a problem at all and that was just the drag link so ALL of the steering pressure was on it and not split between 2 like your use.

there has to be thousands of these in use on lifted JK's

reaming it halfway will not give you the contact surface to the TRE you need as it will only be half supported.

#7 ·
BTW if you take a Harbor Freight step drill and grind off the last step (3/4") and leave the 7/8" step it makes drilling the arms a LOT easier and also helps self center the hole instead of hogging it out with a 7/8 bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.