Pirate 4x4 banner

How big?

7K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  BigBadChevy 
#1 ·
Im wanting to put tractor tires on my mudder. I have no particular size in mind but I dont want to run anything too big for my axles. Whats the biggest size tire (DOT or tractor) I should run on a 14bolt and a dana 44 before having to switch to 2.5s?

(Also I might be attempting to put a steerable 14bolt under the front. What size could I run once that happens?)

#12 ·
Jeez....I posted in the newb section cuz I figured it was a newb question....

Mudders dont play well? Who said I was a mudder just cuz I have a mud truck. I have like 4 trucks I wheel and only one is a mudder. And I dont think we should be divided by "style" of 4x4. All I wanted to know was how big of tires I can run without blowing up my axles right away. I dont just go mudding. I do a little of everything with the truck. I bog, I trail ride, I run over cars, etc.

Has anyone heard of McLean Creek, Alberta? thats where I go. Anyone whos been there knows its not just mudding.

#16 · (Edited)
Jeez....I posted in the newb section cuz I figured it was a newb question....

Mudders dont play well? Who said I was a mudder ...........
Uh, you did. Your question SPECIFICALLY said " on my mudder" In case you forgot, I've quoted you, below....

Im wanting to put tractor tires on my mudder.............
Since you were asking about your "mudder" truck, that's how we answered.
You posed a "mudder" question in a general forum, so you got "general" answers. Straight-ahead driving put a much lower load on the u-joint (weak link in the 44 axle) than multi-use off-roading.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
If you truly have no sarcasm meter, consider that you're not going to run 14" tall tires on that 14 bolt, are you?

Edit: X2 on what Mocha said above.

#13 ·
Whats the biggest size tire (DOT or tractor) I should run on a 14bolt and a dana 44 before having to switch to 2.5s?
38s? really? I have 44s on it currently. And the guy who had the truck before me had 47inch tractor tires on it.
In that case, there is no way in hell the guy who had it before you really wheeled it.

Stick with smaller ags as advised.

#15 ·
Depends if it is open, locker or selectable.
Weight of the rig & driving style.

With a locker:
D44 35"-36" with a light foot, but you will break eventually
D60 40"-42", same as above.

Chromoly shafts & good joints can take you 1-2" bigger.
Running open front will help to limit breakage as well.

#17 ·
To MochaMike: Thank you for your straight forward answer. It is much appreciated.

To HAPPYJOHN: So having one mudder truck makes me a mudder? If you went to a gay bar once does that mean your gay? For someone with the name "Happy"John, you're not so happy are you? All you've done is sarcastic attempts at insult. It seems like you're the one who doesn't "play well".

And for the 44s on 44. If you think about it, it kinda makes sense......Dana35 can handle 35s, Dana 44 can handle 44s. A 14bolt is kinda obvious at what it is....

But thank you for wasting my time and yours by instead of giving a simple "You're axles can handle this sized tire" you had to give long negative answers.

#19 ·
..... All you've done is sarcastic attempts at insult.

For insulting you, I apologize. I had no wish to truly offend you. ( and if you really thought those were insults, you should probably stay in this area. ) I had no knowledge of your other vehicles, so I was addressing the question that you posed. There is no simple "these tires will work on these axles" answer, due to variables, like terrain, weight of vehicle, gear ratio, traction aids, etcetera.

And for the 44s on 44. If you think about it, it kinda makes sense......Dana35 can handle 35s, Dana 44 can handle 44s. A 14bolt is kinda obvious at what it is....

But, by that logic, you could run a 60" tire on a Dana 60, 70" tire on a Dana 70, and so on. Again, my answer was not mocking, just trying to get you to look at your question in a different light.

But thank you for wasting my time and yours by instead of giving a simple "You're axles can handle this sized tire" you had to give long negative answers.
How is this a negative answer; "If you're just doing mud pits, straight ahead kind of stuff, whatever you can clear will probably be ok."

One last thing, this is Pirate. sarcastic, impolite, and obnoxious answers are S.O.P. here. Lurk around, and you'll see what I mean, and you'll see that my
answers were not bad. Grow a thicker skin.

#18 ·
Okay, since it's a newbie question & a serious one, I'll say this. A lot depends on the weight & HP of the vehicle. If it's a really light, really fast truck, you can get away with more front tire by staying up on top of the mud. If you're down "IN" it & heavy, there's no way a 44 front will even handle a 39.5 TSL for long. Also helps to have decent shocks. I've seen many coil-sprung Fords bust 44's in mud with 35's and V6 engines when they start wheelhopping. I blew the ring gear out of my 10-bolt with 31's in a full-size. I also had a small-ujoint 44 (Scout II) survive an entire season of side-stepping the clutch at 5,500 with 38X12.50's under a 400HP Jeep.

Generally speaking, 38.5's are about it for an all-motor reasonably light mud truck with a 44 frontend. You may break stuff on occasion, but it shouldn't be EVERY time you're out.

#20 ·
Thanks Tex. HP wise its not exactly a power house. Just a 350 on propane with a mild cam and heads. The truck is all gearing. But it is very heavy. Its a regular cab long box with a sleeper on it, giant bumpers, 2 propane pigs in the box, etc. Probably close to 7000ibs (guess). What I dont get is everyone on here is saying my axle wont hold up, yet this is my second truck with a 44/14 combo with 44x18.5s and ive never had a problem. And everyone I know with big trucks around here have 44fronts with tires ranging from 44s to 49s.

John, I was not actually offended in any way, I was simply just stating that I had a simple question (it does have a lot of variables, but still) and you responded with "go somewhere else you mudder" answers. And if you read back I did say I have 4 vehicles I wheel only one being a mudder. I realise Dana60s and 70s would be a little ridiculous, but looking at my 44s on my 44 I thought it might be possible, Im not exactly on expert on axles.

#21 ·

John, I was not actually offended in any way, I was simply just stating that I had a simple question (it does have a lot of variables, but still) and you responded with "go somewhere else you mudder" answers. And if you read back I did say I have 4 vehicles I wheel only one being a mudder. I realise Dana60s and 70s would be a little ridiculous, but looking at my 44s on my 44 I thought it might be possible, Im not exactly on expert on axles.
Fawking noobs. :shaking:

I didn't actually SAY that, I seconded it, and that was AFTER I answered the question that you posed. I thought, given your join date, and post count, you might not be aware that there is a forum dedicated to the question that you specifically asked, populated by people who mud all the time.

You wouldn't ask a camping question in the cooking forum, would you?

( thin-skinned noob. )

how about search first, then post. Oh, and in the mud section would help too.
^^ the suggestion

If you're just doing mud pits, straight ahead kind of stuff, whatever you can clear will probably be ok.

^^^ my answer.

And that "mud forum" suggestion was serious.....

And seconding the suggestion.

Sounds like a great truck, any action shots?

Oh, and welcome to Pirate.

#24 ·
no one is trying to be mean but what their all saying is they will hold up but not for very long. when it breaks fix it or go dana 60. i broke both front axles in my ford hp dana 44 the first weekend i had it in the snow with a 3.4 v6. its a ticking time bomb dut if your going to upgrade in the future then run it till it breaks and if it does throw new axles in it... chromos are 860 bucks and i have not broke them but i wish i could go back and do a 60. just my 0.02

#27 ·
I was asking this question because I want to put bigger tires, I have lots of clearance to do so, and I need new tires anyways, mine dont really hold air anymore. So I was wanting as big as I can fit, but if 44s are a surprise with a Dana44 then maybe I wont go any bigger.

I do have action shots of the truck and will try to show them. Only problem is I have dial-up internet so it takes forever to upload pictures on any site.

#29 · (Edited)
I ran 33" tractor tires on a buggy less than 3000lbs and broke a d44 shaft how youve managed to not break a d44 with 44s loading it on the trailer i dont know.

Edit: forgot it was a 10bolt chevy but either way there pretty much the same strength wise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.