Pirate 4x4 banner

spool question

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  frankensteinxj 
#1 ·
Looking for first hand info on running a spool on a rig that sees street time. Not a daily driver but drive to and from trails. Am I gonna hate it? Its going on a fairly short wheel base rig(94 full size blazer) w 35s for now.

#2 ·
The rear in my 78 Wagoneer is welded, so same concept as a spool. It chirps the tires going around tight turns. I used to drive mine to trails all the time, anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours, and it wasn't too bad.

Don't know what axles you have, but a 10 bolt probably won't be happy with 35s and a spool. If you wheel carefully, you will be OK, but if you like to hammer down the skinny pedal, you will be rolling the dice.

#4 ·
My dad drives his 88 bronco to and from our regular wheeling spot about 1.5 hr drive one way. Tires chirp when turning but that's it. He's running a spool in a 9" on 38s.

#5 ·
Been driving a spooled GM 12 bolt now for about 10 years in my Dodge D50 pickup. I'm running Swamper 38" tires, they chirp on sharp corners on the street. Other than that I don't know it's spooled, no unlocking and locking or weird handling problems. It's handles pretty consistant on the street. Off road is where the spool really shines, I love it. Nothing to turn on, bullet proof and simple.

#6 · (Edited)
I daily-drive a K5 with a 14BFF, spooled, on 38s. Chirpy in turns, wears rear tires QUICKLY, but the traction off-road is worth the downsides. (for me, anyway) If it's not your daily, I'd rock it.

If you see a lot of sidehills, might want to rethink your drink, especially if you're going to run boggers, or a similar tread pattern.

#7 · (Edited)
Quote: "If you see a lot of sidehills, might want to rethink your drink, especially if you're gong to run boggers, or a similar tread pattern." Why for this statement? Edjumicate Please. :D

Would the same hold true for the Detroit Locker? Curious as mine just arrived yesterday.

#14 ·
you'll be fine with the detroit. been running mine for close to 5 years without a problem. and mine is also a dd driving on lots of snow and ice during our 5 month winters and mud during the spring. minimal chirp, silent engagement, no air/elec/etc. to fail, close enough to 'bullet proof' for me.
i just bought another detroit for my cj5a build. got it for $45 and $35 for shipping. looks brand new!! yeah, i stole it!

#8 ·
Boggers are designed for forward traction in mud. They tend to slide a bit when off camber on side-hills. A regular Super Swamper has much better traction sideways than a Bogger.

#12 ·
Boggers are essentially a less aggresive paddle tire, which has no sideways stability in the tread pattern. As far as the spool goes, like others have said, go with it. I had a mini spool in the rear 44 on my Scout II for a while before I started my major tear down. I loved it and was running 33s. Drove it on the street quite a bit, but it was never my DD. As others have stated, it will chirp tires, EVERYWHERE!! No matter how slow, you will get everyone's attention at the gas station, grocery store, etc. No big deal though. With the 14 bolt having one of, if not the strongest carrier from the factory, you may want to just weld up the spiders instead of buying the spool though. It will save you some green and perform just as well if you do it right.

#13 ·
You'll be OK. Even with that short wheelbase. Enjoy double the traction:D
Besides it will make dirt donuts much easier, wheeeeee! flop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.