Saginaw Pumps. . . ???? HELP!!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 103437
Saginaw Pumps. . . ???? HELP!!!

So im currently building up this 79 f150 to be my do all offroad rig! My grandfather left it to me when he passed away and I have so many memories of bouncing around in the truck with him when i was a wee little lad and the thing that sticks out most is the all the fun i used to have. . .

With my first kid on the way due here in about 6months I want to be able to take the family up in this thing and be able to do pretty much anything we point the tires at. . .

Its got a dana 60 front 14bolt rear end. . . I'm wanting to run hydro assist on it to help turn the 42in Iroks, so a buddy of mine ended giving me a Cardone 20-6244 Saginaw pump that all the ford guys talk about. . . So i got this pump and tore it all down to rebuild it and I had metal parts literally just falling out of the inside of the pump. . .

So my first question is: Do they make full on rebuild kits for these pumps???

Question #2: Is there somewhere that actually sells the internal parts to the pump???

Or am I pretty much screwed and just have a pump for mockup use only????

Thanx in advance!

Last edited by angelfly; 07-19-2012 at 12:09 AM.
angelfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Here's Johnny!

Member # 12867
Yes there are rebuild kits. Try searching on www.rockauto.com with either the part # you listed or with a vehicle that pump fits.

You can read up on what the pump is doing and see some pics that might help here /forum/general-4x4-discussion/973826-what-s-going-inside-ps-pump.html

If not then this rebuild walk through should do it here http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19310
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 103437
Ya the does help, but the other big problem i have is some of the internal pieces are broken!!! For instance on the shaft assembly, the almost diamond or slanted rectangle pieces below the vanes and the circle assembly that is broken into 3 pieces, and also the plate that is under that is broken also

So Im guessing I'm gonna need to find another pump to rob parts from unless they are sold new somewhere?????
Old 07-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Here's Johnny!

Member # 12867
Never looked for someone selling internals. I'd say its not worth the time and find a good pump. If something is broke no telling what else it might have damaged in the process.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 103437
Bummer. . . . Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostytj View Post
Never looked for someone selling internals. I'd say its not worth the time and find a good pump. If something is broke no telling what else it might have damaged in the process.
Thats kinda what I figured honestly Thats a real disappointment to say the least

Well I appreciate the info tho guys I guess I can atleast use it to build all the mounts and brackets as mockup untill I can hunt down a good 1!!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock Pounder

Member # 121233
Rock auto carries the same pump as some of the brand name high dollar guy's, the only difference is the pressure regulating check ball spring and flow oriface. I drilled mine, extended the spring and it develops the same pressure as the $265 high dollar pump from other companies.I had a Ihgh dollar no names and i last less than a year. I got mine from Rock Auto for $60, modified it and have been running it ever since. Getting reay to do another one for a friend and my son's CJ5 also has the same mods.

I found a hydrualic cyclinder 1.5" x 8" stroke from ahydrualic surplus store for $85, it has been running for three years with no problems. It si a rebuildable cylinder so when it leak I'll just rebuild it.

One thing you will wan to make sure of is buy a cooler for it. Pretty cheap, you can buy a Hadden for around $50 wit some hose.
Cal-4
United Four Wheel Drive Association
Blue Ribbon Collation
MyJeep Rocks.com
Owner of Sidewayz Motorsports
cweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 103437
Do u have a link by chance to the pump???? and i already have a cooler. . . just bought one with electric fans for the tranny and will swap the tranny cooler to power steering duties. . . atleast thats the plan so far! thanx for the help guys!!