92 YJ Question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2003, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
XYZ

Member # 17204
Send a message via Yahoo to XYZ
92 YJ Question

Hello i just joined the board i have been lurking around debating if i was ever going to post here. reason being is that my jeep is stock as of right now and i only plan on doing a 4 inch SUA lift and running 33's (maybe a SOA sometime down there road) and it seems that most of you guys are hardcore. And know your sh!t inside and out so with that being said here is my Question
I just replaced my Front Axel motor (vacuum Actuator) on a 92 Jeep with the I6. before I replaced it, when I put the lever in 4 high it would do nothing ( no light) and I would be able to move the level from 2 high to 4 high with out the clutch being pressed in and no grinding or anything

now that I replaced the Vacuum thing the light will come on and if I do not press the clutch and move the lever up it will grind ( I did this only once and not hard just to see if it would grind) but it just does not feel like it is in 4high I had one of my rear tires (passenger side) on a patch of ice and that tire would sit there and spin I gave it more gas it just sat there and did a one wheel wonder( i was told that the jeep has the limmited slip rear end) I then got out of the jeep and walked behind it with the tire just Turing but as soon as I put the jeep in 4 low it backed it self right up the little hill on to the pavement. so I still do not think my front is locking up right with the way the design on the inside it looks like if the light is on then the front would be locked because the shift fork has to move the collar over in order to press the button in to turn the 4x4 light on. another thing is when I take it out of 4 high I can hear a whooshing sound but as soon as I put it in to 4high it goes away and idea what is causing this? thanks for any inof you can provide
XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
CNC Offroad

Member # 15250
Check your vacuum lines that go to the front axle Actuator It sounds like you might have one that is either leaking or has come loose . The other thing you need to insure is that when you connected your vacuum lines back up to the actuator did you switch them (reverse them)?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2003, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
XYZ

Member # 17204
i did not reverse them it is just a black rubber 2 prong looking things kind of like a upside down U i just lifted it right off and then put it right back on. i also hooked that tube thing to the new vacuum motor before i installed it and had my wife shift it from 4 high to 2 high and the bar slide in and out like it should. and then i put the motor in half way ( so i could still see the shift fork and the collar) and the fork moved the collar over towards the Driver side when in put in 4 high and then back to the driver side when in 2 high. the wooshing sounds kind of like mud tires on the pavment with about and 3 or 4 second delay in between the wooshing. i checked for Vac leaks when i was putting the new motor on and did not find any
Old 02-20-2003, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1050
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert
Just for shits and giggles, are you sure your t-case is engaging the front axle in 4hi????? You could very well have some internal problem with the t-case.
While sounds like you are losing vacuum, remember to check the basics. The whole, grind, not grind thing sounds BS to me.
The NP 231 transfer case (which is what you have, doesn't sound like you would know that) is synchronized to allow full speed engagement of 4hi. But like a transmission, you should still unload torque to it before shifting it, either through the clutch pedal or by placing the tranny in neutral.

P.S. If your Jeep does have a limited slip, it is most likely a factory Trac Lok. They are about as worthless as an open diff, as you learned in the ice.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
XYZ

Member # 17204
Ok how would i check to see if the T-case is engaging the front Axle? Jack it up so all 4 tires are off the ground and put it in 4 high and see if a front and rear tire move? if it is the transfer case not engaging the front what would i have to replace?
Old 02-21-2003, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 14155
Send a message via Yahoo to JJSBADYJ
you could put your tcase in 4hi and jack up the rear end only. If it does engage correctly you should be able to move forward with the rear end raised. Dont try something crazy like side step the clutch at 5000 rpm but just let the clutch out slowly at idle and see if it moves. MAKE SURE NOBODY OR NOTHING OF VALUE IS IN FRONT OF YOUR RIG!!! good luck
JJSBADYJ is offline   Reply With Quote