Need help with wiring on Swap... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2003, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2159
Send a message via ICQ to Supergper Send a message via AIM to Supergper Send a message via MSN to Supergper Send a message via Yahoo to Supergper
Need help with wiring on Swap...

I have a few questions concerning the wiring on my 4.3L TBI swap...

First, This is prolly a real simple one but I cant figure it out...on the wiring harness it has a wire and connector labeled KNC meaning its for the knock sensor...well there is noway I can see of how it goes onto the knock sensor...totally different connections...is there different style knock sensors??? (I will include a couple (blurry ) pics...

Second, well its the same as the first but it is with the egr valve...totally different connectors, are there different units from the factory...

Third, Same thing but the EGR solenoid connectors are different...any help???

I have a painless wiring harness...thanks, and here are the pics of the knock sensor and connector...

(Man I love this NEWBIE forum)
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2003, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2159
Send a message via ICQ to Supergper Send a message via AIM to Supergper Send a message via MSN to Supergper Send a message via Yahoo to Supergper
and here is the sensor...
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2003, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9222
the sensor in the pic is one of the temp senders if memory serves. i think its for the gauge. heres mine,sort of a sideways type blade connector locking thingy
Attached Images

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 2159
That makes more snese but everything I can find says the ting I am looking at is the knock sensor??? where is the knock sensor??? I'm glad you brought that up...thanks
Old 02-25-2003, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9222
its been to long since i pulled this thing from the donor,i'll bring my fsm home from work tomorrow and give you some more info. the connector you showed looks alot like one that i have labeled as going to the switch on the condenser.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2003, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9222
also...i'm wondering if your harness is for the multi-port injected vortecs. cause i think they have the knock sensor down by the oil filter. i don't recall seeing a knock sensor with that type connector on a tbi.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2159
Only those connectors haven;t matched up and the PN on the box is the correct one...BUT one thing that has me thinking is that in the manual (its for both their TBI and TPI kits all in one manual ) it say that on the TBI kit the knock sensor is supposed to be labeled KNK and on the TPI kit it should be labeled KNC...mine says KNC??? I'm really not happy with this painless wiring harness (I wire boats and such all day long at work so wiring is no biggie to me... )
Old 02-25-2003, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9222
i'm thinking you have the wrong harness,send it back get a refund and get a stocker. not that much to em .
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2003, 11:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Shit that ain't nothin'..

Those GM swaps look easy to me.

-Wayne
rotozuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9222
Quote:
Originally posted by rotozuk
Those GM swaps look easy to me.

-Wayne
that why i'm doing it. that mess of yours doesn't look like fun,it looks like work .

supergper,i got stressed out at work and left my fsm at work. i'll try again tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2159
Quote:
Originally posted by larryboy

that why i'm doing it. that mess of yours doesn't look like fun,it looks like work .

supergper,i got stressed out at work and left my fsm at work. i'll try again tomorrow.
Hey no problem, I appreciated any insite you can lend
Old 02-26-2003, 09:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Discount!

Member # 156
Send a message via ICQ to dog walker
I just put the painless wiring harness in my Landcruiser with 87 TBI 305. My knock sensor connector looks just like yours, and the knock sensor is on the passenger side lower block. Also the first pick you posted of the sensor looks like the knock sensor to me. That connector just snaps on over the little white plastic tip.

The kit should have included a bag of different connectors for things like the fuel pump relay, dist. connector, egr, etc. And you'll need to change some of them depending on year of motor.

How many times have you read the manual? I had to read mine about 50 times before I finally understood everything. The end result though was a perfect running motor.

One last thing, Painless wiring's tech support line was alot of help for me! Those guys answered every annoying question I had for them!
83 Toyota 4x4 LB
04 UJZ100
dog walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 2159
Quote:
Originally posted by dog walker
I just put the painless wiring harness in my Landcruiser with 87 TBI 305. My knock sensor connector looks just like yours, and the knock sensor is on the passenger side lower block. Also the first pick you posted of the sensor looks like the knock sensor to me. That connector just snaps on over the little white plastic tip.

The kit should have included a bag of different connectors for things like the fuel pump relay, dist. connector, egr, etc. And you'll need to change some of them depending on year of motor.

How many times have you read the manual? I had to read mine about 50 times before I finally understood everything. The end result though was a perfect running motor.

One last thing, Painless wiring's tech support line was alot of help for me! Those guys answered every annoying question I had for them!
Thanks, I know what you mean about reading the manual...sheesh, I think I have read it atleast 50 times...I have a good understanding but just cant figure out these last few things...I will try the tech line...thnaks agian for confirming this is the right knock sensor connector for the TBI...