quick question about yoke to yoke alignment with the tc - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2003, 03:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 6620
Send a message via ICQ to bit breaker Send a message via Yahoo to bit breaker
quick question about yoke to yoke alignment with the tc

I am trying to work out vibrations in my drive train. My heep has a 6" suspension lift, 1" body lift, RE long arm kit running 35" MT/R's, and SYE with CV ds. The track bars were modified to accomodate this lift, with extended brackets axle side in the rear, body side in the front.

Question: Do the axles necessarily have to be dead center of the body? Does this translate to the axle yoke aligning with the tc yoke? I realize that they sell adjustable track bars, but will it cause any vibrations if they are not aligned.

The rear axle is off center about an 1" - 1.5". Everything I have read says single u-joints are only happy when they are straight, so I have my rear pinion angle pointed directly at the tc. But there is a slight angle in the x axis, if the direction of the pinion is the y axis, off by and 1 or so. It seems to me that this could be the source of the vibration. I have been told that it being off like this is by design, but most everyone I know runs them aligned. Is this preference or is it necessary for proper setup?

The front axle is less than a half inch over all, meaning that it is off center by half of that, but again, this may be the source of some vibration. The toe is about an 1/8" in.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I would like to solve this before my heep rattles apart. Thanks for any input.

Ken

p.s. I did search and the results I got kind of answer my questions, but it seems everyone's setup is a little different, and results are even more different.
bit breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2095
That little offset should'nt cause any problem.
Sponsored Links