Pirate 4x4 banner

What bracket option would you choose when doing an axle swap?

• Pay $300 for MORE or RE brackets

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Cut brackets off of D35 housing

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Fab your own

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 11.1%

Axle swap brackets - what would you do?

822 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ttabbal 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm a month or two away from doing an 8.8 swap into my TJ in place of the D35. The only lingering question that I have is what to do for the various mounting brackets. So, pick one and make any comments you may have. If you choose other, please explain. I think I'm leaning towards buying a D35 housing and just cutting off the old brackets. That way, I can can sell my old axle intact and make a couple $. I guess I'm just looking for the best choice when you consider $ and time needed to perform the swap.

#2 ·
What brackets are you talking about? The spring perches and shock mounts? If that's all you need, it's a whole lot less than $300 to buy them. Try http://www.rockequipment.com ... They carry a lot of misc brackets and you may be able to find what you are looking for there for a decent price. Local 4x4 shops carry a lot of that stuff as well. For the prices of the brackets, I chose to buy them from Rock rather than fab my own. My time is worth something too. :D

Switch it to SOA while you're at it, a little cheap lift and eaiser to set up, IMO. You can also point the pinion at the transfer case for better joint angles. You can even leave the stock 8.8 stuff on there unless it gets in the way.

#3 ·
Kinda hard to make a TJ SOA :flipoff2: (although depending on how you look at it, maybe it already is, the coils are above the axle).

TJ's take alot more than just spring perches and shock mounts, also need trac-bar bracket, and CA brackets.

I would make them yourself if you can, or buy a kit. I know the RE kit is alot beefier (1/4") than the stock brackets, dunno anything about the MORE kit. cutting all the brackets off astock axle seems like too much of a PITA to be worth it

#4 ·
Damit... too much :beer: this morning.. or something. I totally missed that it's a TJ. Pay no attention to that part then. :D

I still wouldn't pay $300 for them though. Fab the bastids if you have the tools and skills. If you can do an axle swap, you probably have the tools at least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.