herculiner bedliner vs. duplicolor bedliner - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2003, 09:12 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 15206
Send a message via AIM to orangecherokee Send a message via Yahoo to orangecherokee
i used Herc for my entire floor. it really doesn't have any heat blocking ability but has some sound dampening qualities. the only thing that i've seen eat it is brake fluid and that stuff eats anything. btw, hey Damage!

orangecherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:39 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 20499
herc is certainly better. but i am a cheap bastard and rolled duplicolor on my rocker panels and slider bars. if it scrapes off i roll another coat on it.

i have not ever seen LineX fail. my dad's work truck takes freaking tortuous abuse and that line x has not come up in a single place. but thats $$. i thought about taking my cj tub in and having them coat the whole interior but i am lazy too
[URL=http://www.flexplorers.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=fb3f019b2379fadd96a6415f224c000c;act=ST;f=8;t=580;st=0;&#entry6]95 Explorer - 351w HO, c6, np208/np205, 40" hawgs, 3/4ton axles, build-up underway[/URL]
[URL=http://www.flexplorers.com/photopost/data/3004/3bling-jeep.jpg]CJ5[/URL]
buchvilleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2003, 09:34 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 3920
Send a message via AIM to Yunaderis Send a message via Yahoo to Yunaderis
what are you all doing for prep work for the herculiner? i am planning on rolling it out onto my pickups bed and was curious about prep work. any tips? things to avoid?

thanks
Yunaderis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 04:34 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 20499
sand it down to metal on flat surface - actual truck bed or tub with contour just superclean and rough it up with medium grit paper and roll it on.
[URL=http://www.flexplorers.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=fb3f019b2379fadd96a6415f224c000c;act=ST;f=8;t=580;st=0;&#entry6]95 Explorer - 351w HO, c6, np208/np205, 40" hawgs, 3/4ton axles, build-up underway[/URL]
[URL=http://www.flexplorers.com/photopost/data/3004/3bling-jeep.jpg]CJ5[/URL]
buchvilleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 05:18 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 13880
IMHO buy a product called Mortens bedliner you can buy a whole kit from them with a shulz gun for under a c note. For prep sand(sandblast if possible) etch with muratic acid or such and spray..
Rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 05:36 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 18395
I love my Herc, But it was great to have a can of Duplicolor spray liner around to get to the spots that were hard to reach with the brushes or rollers
Old 09-24-2003, 09:12 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 3920
great..thanks guys....

sounds like roughing the surface up real well and cleaning with some type of solvent
Old 09-24-2003, 02:32 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 22123
Yep go herc that other crap sucks, I'm gonna have to remove it on the jeep I bought a couple of months ago. Drop a pin on it and it scratches or peels.
lovenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 03:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 5110
Quote:
Originally posted by rockabilly
IMHO buy a product called Mortens bedliner you can buy a whole kit from them with a shulz gun for under a c note. For prep sand(sandblast if possible) etch with muratic acid or such and spray..
Got a link for this Mortens stuff? Nothing showed up with a google search.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Quote:
Originally posted by rockabilly
Muriatic acid (Hcl) is the wrong thing to use! Phosphoric (H3po4)is the correct acid to use. Muriatic is used for etching concrete not metal!

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 07:01 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 9070
Send a message via AIM to jekbrown Send a message via Yahoo to jekbrown
i have herculiner from firewall to tailgate on my K5 and like it a lot. Its really not that much more than dup if you wait until its on sale at Napa or some similar store... should be around $70/gallon.

tips for peeps new to herc:

1) wear elbow length gloves and enough clothes to cover exposed skin... this stuff stains your hands something fierce... took 4-5 days and about 15 showers for it to finally wear off mine.

2) work in a VERY well ventilated area... i had the hardtop on my rig during prep and I was doing the part where you wipe everything down with xylene. NOT GOOD, Im sure I lost a ton of braincells... if my dad hadnt happened by and got me out of there, I very likely coulda ended up face down in the muck.

3) spend mad time on prep work... it really pays off. On my rig, I prepped the hell out of the whole interior and just did a quicky on the tailgate. Well... the tailgate is peeling in a few spots while the rest is holding up like a champ. good solid prep really doesnt take THAT much longer and it will make the herc look better and last a lot longer.

4) put 4-5 coats on high travel areas.

5) tape off all the bolt heads you can, or better yet, pull the bolts if you can. That way the herc will go under the bolt heads... looks better that way and its less likely the herc will peel up around the bolt head than if u just taped it off.

6) if its not a daily driver, let it set a week before you set foot in it, especially if you have lots of coats in some places. Might as well let it cure/dry 100%.

j

[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown]my 85 K5[/url]
jekbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 07:02 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 3920
Quote:
Originally posted by jekbrown
i have herculiner from firewall to tailgate on my K5 and like it a lot. Its really not that much more than dup if you wait until its on sale at Napa or some similar store... should be around $70/gallon.

tips for peeps new to herc:

1) wear elbow length gloves and enough clothes to cover exposed skin... this stuff stains your hands something fierce... took 4-5 days and about 15 showers for it to finally wear off mine.

2) work in a VERY well ventilated area... i had the hardtop on my rig during prep and I was doing the part where you wipe everything down with xylene. NOT GOOD, Im sure I lost a ton of braincells... if my dad hadnt happened by and got me out of there, I very likely coulda ended up face down in the muck.

3) spend mad time on prep work... it really pays off. On my rig, I prepped the hell out of the whole interior and just did a quicky on the tailgate. Well... the tailgate is peeling in a few spots while the rest is holding up like a champ. good solid prep really doesnt take THAT much longer and it will make the herc look better and last a lot longer.

4) put 4-5 coats on high travel areas.

5) tape off all the bolt heads you can, or better yet, pull the bolts if you can. That way the herc will go under the bolt heads... looks better that way and its less likely the herc will peel up around the bolt head than if u just taped it off.

6) if its not a daily driver, let it set a week before you set foot in it, especially if you have lots of coats in some places. Might as well let it cure/dry 100%.

j

thanks a lot for the help....some good tips
Old 09-25-2003, 10:13 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 9070
no problemo, if you have any other questions about herc down the road lemme know... after rollin on about 2.5 gallons of it, I think I got the stuff figured out.

j

Old 09-25-2003, 01:45 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 15091
I used to work for rhino linings as a sprayer. Rhino is far superior to herculiner. Holds up much better and the best part is that it is garunteed. If you Fawk it up take the rig back to the rhino plc. and they will fix it for free. Also, YOU dont have to do any prep work.
Plasm96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 03:33 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 9070
well duh, of course rhino and line-x are better. I assume from the title of the post tho, that the guy is looking for inexpensive options. If I had gone to my local rhino guys and asked them what they wanted to prep and line the interior of my K5... good lord, cha-CHING. sometimes u can get good deals if u know the guys who own the shop and u do all the prep or something, otherwise its bank.

j

Old 09-25-2003, 08:41 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 20057
i cheaped out and covered the interior of the wagoneer with the duplicolor. First, the crap is thin, doesn't cover much like the herculiner and durabak jobs I've seen. Second, it gets baked in the sun and turned gray. Third, crap doesn't stick worth a @$##, it's scraping off with use, and I sanded and cleaned the hell out of that bed. I'm going to have to sand blast it and put some real stuff down. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:16 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 21134
I duplicolored my sliders and they are holding up well (except where they get scraped by rocks). For prep I sanded and wiped down with acetone. Then I wiped it down with isopropyl alcohol. Acetone leaves a residue and the alcohol removes it. Then I sprayed on a primer and it's holding up great.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:32 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 9070
oh yeah, one other thing I forgot to mention about herc... if you like it shiny (how it looks when it is done drying/curing... then you're going to have to spray some kind of UV protectant on it once its cured. Over time UV will turn it a very flat black. Personally, I wanted it flat and thought that when it was shiny it was too bling bling... but to each their own. Anyway, the guys that make herc sell a UV clearcoat... but I'd think that any UV-pro clear rattle can paint would work just as well.

j

Old 09-26-2003, 07:38 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 3916
I applied Herc's UV protectant, I like the finish it left. It glossed everything up a bit, sealed those little air holes you'll get occasionally when the Herc dries, and the final product just was a bit more "finished" looking.

I thinks it maks the clean up easer b/c of the smoother seal it provided.

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274444"]The Build[/URL]
P&T Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 08:29 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 3920
Quote:
Originally posted by robinhood150
I duplicolored my sliders and they are holding up well (except where they get scraped by rocks). For prep I sanded and wiped down with acetone. Then I wiped it down with isopropyl alcohol. Acetone leaves a residue and the alcohol removes it. Then I sprayed on a primer and it's holding up great.

think i can just skip the acetone and use the alcohol to wipe it all down?

thanks
Old 09-26-2003, 08:54 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 21808
Send a message via AIM to BamaRunner
they both suck

Guys, I have researched every single kind of liner out there for the past 3 months....trying to decide which one is better blah, blah, blah....

But I just had my 87 Runner interior sprayed with rhino yesterday and it is just unbelievably better than herc, durabak, duplicolor, etc.....it sprays on soo much thick, and its a 2 stage liner...which makes it stick better, therefore last longer....

I know alot of you are mainly interested in price...but I found out that if you prep the entire truck...the rhino/line-x dealers will spray it considerably cheaper....I paid $400 for mine...i didn't 85% of the prep work....it would have been cheaper if i would have done 100%

which if you think about how much headache will be involved by doing it yourself ... your really not saving that much money...

I'm going to post pictures of the prep process as soon as I can ..
Old 09-26-2003, 09:19 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 3916
Re: they both suck

Quote:
Originally posted by BamaRunner
which if you think about how much headache will be involved by doing it yourself ... your really not saving that much money...
great, thanks....

you still spent $300 more than me and only did 15% less work. I'm happy with mine, it works just fine for the purposes I intend to use it for.

welcome newb...

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274444"]The Build[/URL]
P&T Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 12:18 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 9070
yeah, at the time $300 was no small amount of $ for me... Id rather have spent it elsewhere. Rhino/Line-X is better at sound deadening... but speaking as a guy who hasnt had a boot on his tcase shifter for a year...i dont really care. It all depends on what you are trying to do I guess. I wanted a rust-proof interior that I could hose out for quick/simply cleaning. Herculiner did that for me. When I swap the S-10 cab on my rig, I will prolly be Line-Xing it inside and out... mainly because the cab will be civilized and I want to REALLY make sure rust is kept at bay even when I abuse the thing. Its not like i baby my rig now, but I dont intentionally beat on it either.

j

Old 09-26-2003, 07:33 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 21134
Quote:
Originally posted by Yunaderis

think i can just skip the acetone and use the alcohol to wipe it all down?

thanks
Well, the acetone is what really cleans stuff; it eats away at the oils, chemical residues, etc. Alcohol tends to just push these things around, but it does remove the acetone residue. I say use both if you don't want to risk bubbling. Just get a big can of both and use a big cloth to wipe things down. Be sure to use latex gloves and be in a well ventilated area.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:35 PM   #50 (permalink)
MC
Pulverize Rocks

Member # 21997
Send a message via Yahoo to MC
duraback, duplicolor SUCK they SUCK SUCK SUCK, here in MN they erode decays and flake off, even herculiner sucks when applied thin..............dang

Fully machined components
We build CNC plasma tables, click me
.................................................. .........

American Motors Engine HERE!!
TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689
MC is offline   Reply With Quote