Lifting options for 96 Passport, clearance purposes - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Member # 297170
Posts: 0
Lifting options for 96 Passport, clearance purposes

Hello. First topic here!

I am looking to lift my 1996 Honda Passport EX 4X4 V6 3.2L but am wondering which path to take.

The REASON I want to lift my vehicle is simply for road obstacles / clearance. I've had this vehicle for 2 years now and have worked 6 years now ontop of a mountain that regularly gets over 110" of snow. So far, this winter we have over 140". Often, after I or someone else plows the snow/ice off the roads the weight of the walls will sometimes collapse later in the day and fall into the road. About two months ago I had to drive over one of these "ice/snow balls" and my vehicle was just a few inches too short to completely clear it and part of the obstacle became wedged in between a rock guard and froze there causing damage to the torque convertor plate. This got me thinking about lifting my vehicle. I also have keys to gates seasonally closed that I need to traverse, often finding that these gravel roads have washed out and have huge ruts/ditches to drive along/through as I cannot drive around most since there are very steep drop-offs and no little to no shoulders.

SO.. this brings me to my question. I do not use this vehicle for off-roading fun or mudding or anything like that. As I mentioned, I do drive gravel roads often and over much snowfall and drifts. I also do alot of camping so often use my 4X4 capabilities to make it to remote areas. Taking this into consideration,

I would like to lift my vehicle around 2" or 3" or so. I do not want to get it too tall since this is my daily driver and I may have to get on the highways/interstate, etc. Seeing as I simply want road and obstacle clearance, what are your suggestions for lift methods?

I was thinking for the FRONT (not all are for lift) of the vehicle to crank the torsion bar, some bumpstops, perhaps add coil spacers, new shocks/struts, and a sway bar. Does this sound ample for desired height? Or am I missing something, steering related possibly?

I was thinking for the REAR (not all are for lift) of the vehicle.. ideally, to get lifted leaf springs, but I cannot seem to find any for my vehicle (anybody know of some?, I believe it's interchangable with Isuzu Rodeo of same said year/model but not 100%). Also/or lift shackles?, new shocks, brake line extension if needed, and since this is my daily driver I was also wondering if I should get a "Roadmaster active suspension" for better cornering, etc? Or would a sway bar suffice?

"Calmini" has their 2" and 3" lift kits for the Rodeo/Passport but I have heard mixed reviews on them and would also like to piece together my own parts instead of a generic kit if possible.
"Independent4x" has a few kits though.. similar to the "Calmini" is their beginner kit and they have a budget beginner kit as well. Here is a link to the 1990-97 Rodeo products which I hope is the same as Honda Passport? https://www.independent4x.com/mercha...ath=1_12_22_29

I noticed a OME Leaf springs.. are these lifted, does anyone know? There is also a rear leaf upgrade kit.. they actually have quite a bit of stuff, I just hope they fit my Honda.

Anyway, ideas or suggestions? Part suspension lift and part body lift?
Thanks for reading.
vfeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
What did you expect?
 
HAPPYJOHN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Member # 119290
Location: near the 'con, CA.
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfeast View Post
Hello. First topic here!

I am looking to lift my 1996 Honda Passport EX 4X4 V6 3.2L but am wondering which path to take.

The REASON I want to lift my vehicle is simply for road obstacles / clearance. I've had this vehicle for 2 years now and have worked 6 years now ontop of a mountain that regularly gets over 110" of snow. So far, this winter we have over 140". Often, after I or someone else plows the snow/ice off the roads the weight of the walls will sometimes collapse later in the day and fall into the road. About two months ago I had to drive over one of these "ice/snow balls" and my vehicle was just a few inches too short to completely clear it and part of the obstacle became wedged in between a rock guard and froze there causing damage to the torque convertor plate. This got me thinking about lifting my vehicle. I also have keys to gates seasonally closed that I need to traverse, often finding that these gravel roads have washed out and have huge ruts/ditches to drive along/through as I cannot drive around most since there are very steep drop-offs and no little to no shoulders.

SO.. this brings me to my question. I do not use this vehicle for off-roading fun or mudding or anything like that. As I mentioned, I do drive gravel roads often and over much snowfall and drifts. I also do alot of camping so often use my 4X4 capabilities to make it to remote areas. Taking this into consideration,

I would like to lift my vehicle around 2" or 3" or so. I do not want to get it too tall since this is my daily driver and I may have to get on the highways/interstate, etc. Seeing as I simply want road and obstacle clearance, what are your suggestions for lift methods?

I was thinking for the FRONT (not all are for lift) of the vehicle to crank the torsion bar, some bumpstops, perhaps add coil spacers, new shocks/struts, and a sway bar. Does this sound ample for desired height? Or am I missing something, steering related possibly?

Torsion bars & coils are two totally different spring types, you have torsion bars.
same thing with struts/shocks, you have shocks.


I was thinking for the REAR (not all are for lift) of the vehicle.. ideally, to get lifted leaf springs, but I cannot seem to find any for my vehicle (anybody know of some?, I believe it's interchangable with Isuzu Rodeo of same said year/model but not 100%). Also/or lift shackles?, new shocks, brake line extension if needed, and since this is my daily driver I was also wondering if I should get a "Roadmaster active suspension" for better cornering, etc? Or would a sway bar suffice?

"Calmini" has their 2" and 3" lift kits for the Rodeo/Passport but I have heard mixed reviews on them and would also like to piece together my own parts instead of a generic kit if possible.

I'd recommend a kit, rather than "piecing" something together. That way, spring rates will be compatible front to rear.

"Independent4x" has a few kits though.. similar to the "Calmini" is their beginner kit and they have a budget beginner kit as well. Here is a link to the 1990-97 Rodeo products which I hope is the same as Honda Passport? https://www.independent4x.com/mercha...ath=1_12_22_29

I noticed a OME Leaf springs.. are these lifted, does anyone know? There is also a rear leaf upgrade kit.. they actually have quite a bit of stuff, I just hope they fit my Honda.

Anyway, ideas or suggestions? Part suspension lift and part body lift?
Thanks for reading.
Also bear in mind that the purpose of a lift kit is to gain clearance for larger
tires. Cranking the torsion bars, and using stronger rear springs will raise the body, but the rear differential, and front control arms will have the same clearance that they have now. Only larger diameter tires will raise those pieces and gain you ground clearance.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmuddboger View Post
sometimes you gotta lower your standards to up your odds.

Dana 60 or 14 bolt disk brake kits $315 shipped http://www.lugnut4x4.com/

Last edited by HAPPYJOHN; 05-04-2013 at 07:49 PM.
HAPPYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Member # 297170
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYJOHN View Post
Also bear in mind that the purpose of a lift kit is to gain clearance for larger
tires. Cranking the torsion bars, and using stronger rear springs will raise the body, but the rear differential, and front control arms will have the same clearance that they have now. Only larger diameter tires will raise those pieces and gain you ground clearance.
Hey, thanks for the reply, HAPPYJOHN. I appreciate the clarification.

Yes, I have torsion bars and no coil springs. I will crank the bars a few inches to raise the front and install stock size shocks (I don't need longer from what I've read elsehwere -- do you believe this to be true?).

I will get lifted leaf springs [OME] for the rear and greasable shackles [Indy4x] as well as 1" longer shocks in the rear (is +1" sufficient?). Do you believe I need the shackles or is that just for extra lift?

I believe the lift will allow for larger tires of approximately 265/75R16 (I currently have 245/70R16). Someone said I could even get 285/75R16 if I do some trimming. I believe that means fender rolling and cutting back some of the front wheel-well plastic?

Anyway, as far as kits, Indy4x has a complete 3" suspension lift by Old Man Emu that looks decent. It's $1,200 which is a little more than I wanted to spend which is why I was wanting to piece my own parts together if I don't need any of the extra stuff like 'better torsion bars', etc. But I may end up doing that if it's what I need.
vfeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
What did you expect?
 
HAPPYJOHN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Member # 119290
Location: near the 'con, CA.
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfeast View Post
Hey, thanks for the reply, HAPPYJOHN. I appreciate the clarification.

Yes, I have torsion bars and no coil springs. I will crank the bars a few inches to raise the front and install stock size shocks (I don't need longer from what I've read elsehwere -- do you believe this to be true?).

Yes

I will get lifted leaf springs [OME] for the rear and greasable shackles [Indy4x] as well as 1" longer shocks in the rear (is +1" sufficient?). Do you believe I need the shackles or is that just for extra lift?

How much lift in the springs?
Are the shackles you're listing longer than stock?


I believe the lift will allow for larger tires of approximately 265/75R16 (I currently have 245/70R16). Someone said I could even get 285/75R16 if I do some trimming. I believe that means fender rolling and cutting back some of the front wheel-well plastic?

Current tires are 30" tall, the 265s are 32" tall, 285s are 32.8" tall.
1, You'd probably have to trin sheetmetal to fit the 285s.
2, A 2" taller tire nets you 1" of ground clearance. ( only 1/2 the tire height is below the axle centerline )
My opinion would be to use the 265s, as much more than a 2" jump will most likely require re-gearing to regain acceleration.


Anyway, as far as kits, Indy4x has a complete 3" suspension lift by Old Man Emu that looks decent. It's $1,200 which is a little more than I wanted to spend which is why I was wanting to piece my own parts together if I don't need any of the extra stuff like 'better torsion bars', etc. But I may end up doing that if it's what I need.
A 3" kit will allow the 285s, but you'll need gears to return acceleration/power
to factory levels with that tall of a tire.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmuddboger View Post
sometimes you gotta lower your standards to up your odds.

Dana 60 or 14 bolt disk brake kits $315 shipped http://www.lugnut4x4.com/

Last edited by HAPPYJOHN; 05-08-2013 at 12:22 PM.
HAPPYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Member # 297170
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYJOHN View Post
How much lift in the springs?
Are the shackles you're listing longer than stock?


After further research I will need both the springs and the shackles for the complete 3" lift.
The lift in the springs by OME are 1.5".
The shackles by Indy4x raise 1.5".
Looks like I am to stick with the plan on buying them both if that's the case.

A 3" kit will allow the 285s, but you'll need gears to return acceleration/power to factory levels with that tall of a tire.

Hmm, the extra inch or so of clearance may not be worth messing with the gears. I will most likely go with your suggestion of the 265s, if also to save money on tires in the long run (spares, repurchasing, etc.).
Thank you for taking the time to help me out -- this has helped me greatly. I believe I am on the right track now but if there's anything else you think I may have missed or additional comments, or you might think I would rather do something else feel free to let me know.
vfeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.