Pirate 4x4 banner

This forum needs a Newbies check in here post.

414K views 3K replies 3K participants last post by  serene 
#1 ·
So Newbies.......Check in here :flipoff2:

#2,428 ·
Cheers! Found out about this site from a couple guys posting thread links at Garage Journal. Figured since I'll be lurking around these forums absorbing a bunch of information, I'd introduce myself. I'm new to trucks/4x4's in general, though I've been around the car scene for the better part of 2 decades (actual ownership, not boyhood worship :p ). Started racing a Honda CRX in autocross competitions before moving to VW's & Porsches. Got my first Mustang 3 years ago, and replaced that foxbody with my current '94 SVT. With the pending purchase of a house, I started looking for a truck to act as a workhorse during the move and subsequent house renovations.

Last night I picked up a '73 F-250 4x4. Needs some work, but it'll get the job done. 390 FE, 4spd manual. Lumber rack was a bonus that will come in handy. Primary use will be as a workhorse, but I would like to get into some light trail action at some point. Some of you guys have some wild machinery. While I don't think I would ever build anything so radical, you've got mad respect on the ingenuity & follow through.

Pic of said beast:

And the other 2 if anyone gives a flip about the asphalt bound. :D

#2,429 ·
Hi. Long time lurker. I am an Electrical Engineer by trade and have owned and operated a gunshop for 13 years. This is my current Jeep.

Currently working on a set of Rocks. Not sure if I will out them under the TJ or buy a frame and tub.

#2,431 ·
Central Alabama

I'm from out in the sticks of Blount County. For those that know where that is please dont hold it against me lol. I've owned several different 4x4's over the years from mild to wild. Just bought an old dodge mainly for sentamental reasons and planning on fixing it up into something really nice. But for now I'm wheeling it most every weekend the way it is.

#2,435 ·
Yep...another newbie! Not new to trucks, have had several mud trucks but nothing really trailable. Mostly big stuff, last one was my Ranger with built bigblock, rockwells and 56" tractor tires. Got out of trucks for a while, married, kids, yada, yada, yada. Kids are getting old enough to start worrying about what they are doing outside of school and want to get back to offroading and hopefully keep them involved enough to keep them out of trouble. Have had a 60 cadillac for a number of years but the car show scene is even more boring now then it was when I started. Picked up an 88 dodge 1 ton with the intent of using the drivetrain in something that has 4 seats so will be asking a lot of questions. If you stayed to read the whole thing, thanks. :D

#2,438 ·
May Day Noob

Ok, I only have one question right now and I'm fixin to post it everyplace I can so answer it quickly , and to my satifaction , and I'll leave you alone... What is the IDEAL wheelbase for the best trail/crawling rig I can build... I don't care what you think is the best tire or suspension or knob polishing doodad ...Where should the wheelbase fall -:flipoff:in inches please...http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/flipoff.gif

#2,439 ·
Hey all, new guy here. Ultra newbie.

I just bought a '51 M38. It's my first jeep, and my first 4x4, so I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions.
I've never been wheelin' in my life. I live in KS, and don't have a tow rig, so there isn't much opportunity. Hopefully it will fulfill my hunting season neeeds, snow duties, and summer cruising.

#2,441 ·
Okay. I've been an occasional visitor here for many years. But I don't own a 4x4. Never have. But I've probably done more real 4-wheelin than the vast majority of Americans who DO own 4x4s...

That said...I own a Toyota Xtra cab 4x2 which most people think IS 4x4 due to the 33x12.50s and flared fenders and high ride height. No...It's not "lifted". It has long travel suspension on it. Fox coilovers and fabricated longer than stock arms with beefed spindles. Fiberglass bedsides and front fenders as well as the hood. Battery in the bed. I find plenty of info on here about Toyotas and other things which interest me... So I decided to finally register.

I have a close friend who has a 42 GPW with some modifications. It's a pretty old-school 4x, but it's served him very well since 1975. He's involved with the group who opened the Hammers trails here in the Mojave Desert.

I'm a Fabricator and an offroad race Tech Inspector. I've won a Championship racing offroad in my own buggy. I live in the desert with offroad trails starting within 25' of the end of my driveway. I drive offroad nearly every day. I also love to offroad (and hike) in the mountains and forests.

I've been married 30 years and our 18 year old son is working on his 3rd consecutive Championship offroad racing a Baja Bug. He also drove someone else's Baja Bug in the Mint 400 race a month ago and may soon be in a Trophy Truck. There are 2 teams currently interested in having him in their trucks.

Last year our Tech Inspection firm was invited to do the Tech for the King of The Hammers events. But we learned that final say on rules enforcement would be with the "Club". Past experience has shown that such situations can lead to inconsistent rules enforcement, so we respectfully declined.

#2,442 ·
Rob Here,
Been offroading in the southeast on and off for the last 10 years in Jeeps of various flavors all mildly built. Been checking out Pirate for a whil e but never really had anything to add; finally came across a deal so pulled the trigger and joined up. Current rig is an '05 Rub Sahara Unlimited with a 3.5" bastard lift and 35's. Been married for almost 16 years with two kids. Live just north of Panama City beach and can't wait to hit Morris Mountain over Memoreial Day Weekend for the Wheelin' 4 Warriors Rock Ride 5.

#2,444 ·
New to the forums here but have been turning wrenches and working on our mud trucks with my dad for years. I had a lifted 78 F250 went to college came back it was in a scrapyard somewhere wasn't pleased in the least. Just picked up a 77 F250 last week slapped 36" buckshots under it and took it through our blue clay mud pit it fared well. Despite about falling on my face trying to step out and not realizing how tall it was I decided it's not tall enough.

#2,447 ·
93 jimmy 2wheel converted to straight axle 4x4, and newb

I picked up a 93 Jimmy 4 door cheap that's been converted to 4x4 straight axle and had a 350 small block dropped in it. I'm gonna need help on some terminology. I'm having a hard time searching for what I need. So glad for this here interweb thingy.

#2,452 ·
I was told by someone here that after 25 years of wrenching, I learned something today... and that makes me a Newb:(

Here I am checking in!:laughing::laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.