quadra-trac"?" - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2003, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 20424
Angry quadra-trac"?"

I have a 76 CJ7 that I have built and installed an AMC 360 with a TURBO 400 tranny. When i get out on the pavement and spin the tires it leaves black marks with the front and rear tires. My question is, is it suspose to do that with the switch for the transfer case in the normal mode( Remember this is a qudra-trac). Also I have bought a low range unit from a 76 J10 will it work on my CJ7. Thanks for any advice you have. Somewhat new this "4WHEEL DRIVE THING".
Old 06-18-2003, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 809
ummm ya think it could be something to do with quadratrac being fulltime 4x4 huh do ya?

Now please delete and go sit with the guy who has 12" of backspacing on a 12" rim...we like to keep the *bright* ones together.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2003, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2364
Send a message via ICQ to BostonWrangler Send a message via AIM to BostonWrangler

Ya, the quadratrac is a full-time case, so you are driving all 4 wheels when you have it in "normal" mode. Do a little research on the quadratrac or get an owners manual.
63 Honda CB77 SuperHawk 305 ([color=red]for sale[/color])
BostonWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2003, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8914
Other than the fact that these guys don't know shit about the quadratrac case they're right... go search

You probably have it locked in 4wd.. or e drive as it was labeled. In normal mode the case sends power to either the front or the rear wheels, depending on traction. The case is basically a limited slip device. You never get power to all 4 wheels...lockers or limited slips were not an option with the quadratrac.

As for the low range unit....it is a bolt on. You will need the shifter and a hole will have to be cut in your floor for it...
Bald1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2003, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2364
Send a message via ICQ to BostonWrangler Send a message via AIM to BostonWrangler
So the Quadratrac case is or isn't a full-time case? If all 4 tires have traction, then all 4 tires will get power. I don't see how your explanation is different.

I was going to explain the whole "lock" mode thing, but I thought that an owners manual would clear that up.
BostonWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2003, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 18819
Q-trac is full time 4WD. In normal mode they allow differentiation front and rear to the axle that is getting the most traction. In reality it is usually the one that is slipping that is easiest to turn so that one ends up getting all the power. In emergency drive it locks the differential so that 50% of the power is going to the front axle and 50% is going to the rear axle no mater what. If you are spinning both front and rear tires I'd think that your case is locked in e-drive.

The normal/emergency drive is (should be) controlled by a vacuum switch that pulls vacuum from your engine to operate a little diaphram mounted on the top rear of the case. If any of the three vacuum lines going to the switch or transfer case are bad, you will not be engaging/disengaging the e-drive function.

Low range unit is very desireable. Not sure why they were sold without them. 74 and 75 used a cable that binds and eventually breaks. Stick with the lever that is mounted on the left side of the transmission tunnel just under the driver's seat. Got mine out of a Grand Wagoneer. Takes 10 minutes to cut the hole and install it if you get the hole in the right place the first time. Mine took about 2 hours so don't ask me where to drill.

I think I got some info on how to install the low rang unit. PM me and I'll see if I can get it to you.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4568
Send a message via AIM to YeeP
Or you could get rid of the Quadrapuke and put in a Dana 20 or Dana 300.... just an idea I had.....
YeeP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2003, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20298
Silly faggot...the QT is actually a good xfer case.
Damage, Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2003, 12:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4568
Yeah great for me making money off of dumb fawks that want to keep it in their Jeep. Especially after they start to modify it to do hard wheeling, put a torquey engine in, large tires, low gears. Yeah great t-case. I wish I had one, I think Ill swap.....

If fact I think I am just got back from the junk yard, but couldnt find one in all the Jeeps I looked in, maybe thats cause they are all in the trash.....
Old 06-19-2003, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 18819
I think he would need to swap the rear axle as well if he went to a D300. Q-Trac = offset differential. D300 = centered differentil.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20298
You dumbshit...how many vehicles do you see with modified engines, transmissions, axles, tires, etc., with STOCK FRICKING TRANSFER CASES??!?

You go ahead and show me that great stock xfer case for my bottled 350, kitted TH400, D60s and 44" tires. Please.

FCS I didn't say it was great for serious shit, I just said it was actually a good xfer case.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 4568
Hey Damageboy Ive got the STOCK Dana 300 behind a built 401, "kitted TH400" with a Dana 70 behind it. Its holding just find. You sure are quick to call people dumbshit or faggot........

I see plenty of stock Dana 20s hold up to V8 power and Im pretty sure that a 205 or 203 will hold up just fine STOCK.....
Old 06-19-2003, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20298
Quote:
Originally posted by YeeP
Hey Damageboy Ive got the STOCK Dana 300 behind a built 401, "kitted TH400" with a Dana 70 behind it. Its holding just find. You sure are quick to call people dumbshit or faggot........

I see plenty of stock Dana 20s hold up to V8 power and Im pretty sure that a 205 or 203 will hold up just fine STOCK.....
LOL...and I know plenty with the same setup using a QT. And it's holding up fine.

I'm not saying it's ideal or great, but it's not that bad. There's just lots of idiots out there giving it a bad name, that's all. If it was such a big piece of shit, do you really think Jeep would have ran it for so many years?
Old 06-19-2003, 05:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 62
Quote:
Originally posted by Damage, Inc.
Silly faggot...the QT is actually a good xfer case.
If you think there so great can I get your address to send the big ass box of busted up QT's I've gathered? They are decent case's for a stock vehicle, if maintained well. This is there biggest flaw they wear at a rate higher then any case I have ever seen, and when they wear out they they blow up. Behind a built 360 I wouldnt give a mildy warn QT much time at all.

Moral of this story: Doing burnouts with QT is about as bright as putting a built motor in front of it. Atleast step up too a dana 20 or dana 30, boo fawking woo if you have to buy a different rear axle.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 4568
Thank you NE-RokToy......
Old 06-19-2003, 05:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 13593
Send a message via AIM to BlazerZR2
What a coincidence, I have two quadra-tracs laying around. Anyone want one or both.

I think their trash. I swaped to a D20 and have been happy ever since.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20298
I want EITHER one of you to tell me you broke your QT out wheeling. Let me hear it.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20298
Quote:
Originally posted by BlazerZR2
I think their trash.
Great facts...
Old 06-19-2003, 10:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 6589
I have a Part time QT on my waggy. I run 37in SSR's and 5.38 gears. I have been running this setup for two years. I have run many 4 and 4+ trails in Moab. I haven't had problems as of yet.
blt2crl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2003, 12:35 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 20454
I run a QT behind a warmed over 401. So far its held up just fine. Whether stock or converted to part-time its a pretty decent t-case. The biggest weakness is the sun gear in the low range unit. The splines strip out after maybe 80,000 miles of hard use. IMO, most people who bitch about QTs breaking were using low cost generic replacement chains rather than a Morse chain. I've seen some busted QTs in boneyards and in each case they had a generic chain that broke. I have never seen or heard of the Borg Warner/Morse chain breaking.

The above is not to say that the QT is better than a Dana 20 or a Dana 300, but its better than many give it credit for and is at least as strong (imo) as any of the other chain drive t-cases.

Last edited by RB401; 06-20-2003 at 12:38 AM.
RB401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2003, 04:05 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 18819
Riverbeast is that you? Thanks for the comments on the QT.

One thing I forgot to mention, if you swap out a QT you need to swap the transmission or the output shaft at the least because the shaft sticks 10 to 12 inches out the back of the transmission.

Wheel it till you break it then tear it apart to see what went. If it is a cheap fix then fix it and slap it back in. If not then worry about replacing it.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20298
RiverBeast runs a D20, btw, which is what I run. Thanks for chiming in y'all. I was about to give up!
Old 06-20-2003, 11:17 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 112
OK so now we know Q tracs don't FULLY blow.

[COLOR=Lime] Stiffy®? why screw around with anything less? [/COLOR]

Charter member PBB mod divorce club for men.
Steve N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2003, 11:25 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 12121
Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Yahoo to Sully
Quote:
Originally posted by Damage, Inc.
If it was such a big piece of shit, do you really think Jeep would have ran it for so many years?
Yer right. Just like Jeep would never use the 35c, or that Peugot transmission. Nope... Only the highest quality goods go into every Jeep assembled at the factory.

Keep in mins this is the same company that made the Gremlin.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:40 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 20544
Damage,

It's not a piece of shit, but it's rarely the preferred unit. It's true what was previously posted about the chain. That's the weak link. My sister had a QT in her CJ7 on 35"ers and had to replace the chain twice in 2 years. Not due to it being a crappy case, but due to her using the cheapest chain she could find and expecting it to work. She put in a 300 a month ago.

They require special fluid and if you use just gear oil, it burns out the clutches (?) inside the case and shortens chain life.
The design of it- the power distribution- is not for everyone.
I think the general consensus is that a gear-to-gear case is better. If you gotta replace a case/ swap a new one in- got for a gear to gear.

My humble noob opinion.
-B.
Mr. Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.