Tie Rod/Draglink replacement options 74 bronco? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2003, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6863
Tie Rod/Draglink replacement options 74 bronco?

Waht are the best options for replacing the tie rod and draglink on a 74 bronco? A friend owns the truck and the steering is way loose and the TRE's are the problem(already fixed frame and track bar bushings.

Is there a HD setup availible? Not going Histeer, but would like something a bit tougher

Thanks!
-Brett
Old 06-24-2003, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 595
The GM 1 ton ends are the way to go. You can go over the knuckle but it requires the track bar mount on the housing to be moved up or you can stay below and not do it. There are two ways to make do this setup. Buy the threaded (7/8-18 LH one end and RH the other) weld in ends and weld them inside some tubing or buy the tubes already taped to (7/8-18 LH one end and RH the other) Then you need to ream the knuckles and pitman arm to a 1 1/2" per'. One of the best features of this setup is that the ends are replaceable (come with a lifetime warrenty through a few parts houses) and bigger than factory ford stuff. If you need threaded tubes send me a PM I can help you out.